Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Phildave
    • By Phildave 8th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    0 WOW
    Ryanair Car Hire Prices
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair Car Hire Prices 8th Mar 18 at 4:36 PM
    If You have booked a flight with Ryanair you will shortly after get an email offering “cheapest car hire - or your money back” as we did. Just out of curiosity I looked and sure enough they were far cheaper than anyone else. As I hadn’t yet booked my car Hire I decided to book via Ryanair......
    Chose my car, filled out the dates, provided my name, my address - then just at the bottom I noticed an address field with “Ireland” pre filled in. I changed it to UK and got a warning that this could affect my cost - it did !!!! And it just added £40 to my £148 car Hire cost !!!
    Why does whether I live in the UK or Ireland affect my car high cost in Spain? I was tempted to just leave it at Ireland, but if I had an accident or the car was stolen the hire company may say I supplied false details
    Another mis-leading way for Ryanair to get more money out of us ?
Page 1
    • TheRevJimJones
    • By TheRevJimJones 9th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    Can't speak for Ryanair but I have exactly the same experience with HolidayAutos. Got as far as the booking page to find that all the prices I'd been quoted assumed that I was living in Ireland (although the rental I was booking was for a completely different country). As soon as I switched my address to the UK the prices went up by about 50%.

In the event I simply down-specced my car and got one for the price I was originally expecting. I was very puzzled why car hire is so much cheaper for someone living in Ireland. It feels like there should be some European legislation which prevents this kind of thing (variations in cost of insurance perhaps, but surely not the basic rental cost?)
    • richardw
    • By richardw 9th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    • 18,481 Posts
    • 7,661 Thanks
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    Different countries have differing demand profiles and thus different markets and prices, nowt to do with actual costs.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,216Posts Today

8,528Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have you planned how to finance your funeral? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll...

• If you're coming to the ideal home show today, I'm taking at 2. Do come along. To whet the appetite, here's a pic f?

• Today's twitter poll: When u see a disabled toilet, whether in a restaurant, station or elsewhere, if there's no ot?

• Follow Martin