Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Elemental Wish
    • By Elemental Wish 8th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Elemental Wish
    Adverse Weather Lay-off
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    Adverse Weather Lay-off 8th Mar 18 at 3:48 PM
    My factory closed during the recent spell of snow. I was willing and able to get to work.

When I returned to work I was told that I could either make up the time by working extra hours on top of my normal shifts or take it as paid holiday. When I questioned the company's right to force me to make up the hours, I was directed to my contract which has a clause for a lay-off period if there is a shortage of work. There was no shortage of work and I now need to make up for the lost production time.

I am not in a position to make up the hours outside of my normal working time and don't have enough spare holiday, so I have had to accept statutory pay for the two days.

Am I taking the "shortage of work" term too literally or is this a more general term which can include the shutting of the factory for any reason including adverse weather?

Any help would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 2,785 Posts
    • 2,654 Thanks
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    Perfectly reasonable by the employer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,789Posts Today

7,218Users online

Martin's Twitter