Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• JayZed
    • By JayZed 8th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • 699Posts
    • 588Thanks
    Homebuyer's survey through lender?
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    Homebuyer's survey through lender? 8th Mar 18 at 12:47 PM
    Our mortgage lender (HSBC) is offering a Homebuyer's survey for £350 incl VAT, which is considerable cheaper than any quotes I've been able to find from independent surveyors (£590 incl VAT is the cheapest I've found - this is in London).

I've always used independent surveyors before, but a price difference of £240 is pretty substantial, and following a chain collapse the costs of this move are starting to add up.

Are there any overwhelming reasons not to arrange this at the cheaper rate via the lender? Does anyone have any negative experience (e.g. delays, mortgage offers withheld) of doing this via a lender - or specifically via HSBC?
Page 1
    • SharkBite
    • By SharkBite 8th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    I went with our lenders surveyor (Natwest) They needed to do a survey anyway so I just bundled the homebuyers survey on top and it was all done at the same time. I feel it helped to speed up the offer process. You could ask about the company they use then look up some reviews. I suspect you wouldn't have an issue.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 8th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 33,018 Posts
    • 17,800 Thanks
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    Countrywide, IIRC.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 8th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    The downside is if the homebuyers goes into more depth and spots something bad, the lender can view that. Try shopping about more? Our nationwide one was going to be £350 and we got one for £380 but this is north UK.
    • JayZed
    • By JayZed 8th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    Thanks all. I haven't been able to find anything remotely close in cost, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and spend the extra £240 for peace of mind. After all, this being London I've borrowed ninety gazillion quid to buy the bloody house, so it's a drop in the ocean really.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,228Users online

Martin's Twitter