Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Ellis1987
    • By Ellis1987 8th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    0 WOW
    Best Cheap Accommodation Option For Holiday Worker
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    0 WOW
    Best Cheap Accommodation Option For Holiday Worker 8th Mar 18 at 11:24 AM
    Hi there money savers,

I am seeking a little advice on how to save money on my accommodation in Ibiza this year. I am planning on working in Ibiza for the season, however it is my first time working abroad and I am struggling to find affordable holiday homes or villa rentals.

I will be going out there by myself and was planning on possibly staying in an AirBnB, however I recently read an article saying that short term holiday rentals like AirBnB have been banned in Ibiza and obviously I can't afford a holiday home or villa by myself.

I have come across this site - Which offers the opportunity to meet others going to the same destination as you, at the same time and split the cost of the accommodation through the website. I thought it looks like a great idea as I can get to know them before I fly and it's a great way to meet people, but as I haven't heard of it I was unsure on the safety. Could someone let me know if they have used this site before or if you know of any other ways I can save money on my accommodation in Ibiza?

Page 1
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 19,320 Posts
    • 51,277 Thanks
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    I may have misunderstood how it works but this is what occurs to me:

As you will be long-term rather than just holidaying, is this:
    We’re always on the lookout for new innovative ways to travel and now the new travel company VillaMates have come up with a genius idea! They offer a brand-new way to save money on luxury accommodation, with the added bonus of making new friends along the way. Hailed as “the social network for holiday-makers” VillaMates allows solo travellers as well as groups of friends to either search available rooms in villas already booked by others, save money by offering a spare room in a Villa already booked or plan a whole new trip with other members.
    the right type of accommodation - unless you're going to be earning a shed-load of money?

You're not a holiday-maker.

So somebody books a villa for a short while, you piggy-back onto that booking.
    What do you do at the end of that booking?
    Where do you stay next?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 8th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    • 18,481 Posts
    • 7,661 Thanks
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    The cheap accommodation for holiday workers can be a bed in a bunk room for 4 workers or more and no air con.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Mar 18, 3:42 PM
    • 19,676 Posts
    • 15,360 Thanks
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:42 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:42 PM
    What sort of work do you intend to do? Are there jobs that come with accommodation?
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 9th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 2,828 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    You might be better booking a week self catering, see what work is out there during that week and go from there before signing up to long term contracts as places might have contacts for cheap accomodation depending where you work
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *63lbs lost* *28lbs to go*
    Started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 34 weeks in -55lbs
    -> target 11 st 13lbs by mid June -> 14 weeks & 15lbs to go
    2) to find new challenges
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 10th Mar 18, 7:57 AM
    • 688 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:57 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:57 AM
    There is a forum on Ibiza Spotlight website for people intending to go out to work which you might find useful. Unfortunately for you, because rentals have become ridiculously expensive on the island to the detriment of locals, the Balearic government has made it very difficult to rent property out without a license, hence a lot of it has disappeared due to enormous fines being levied. You will find a lot of discussion on the aforementioned forums about it.
    • dogcat
    • By dogcat 10th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    • 21,236 Posts
    • 23,637 Thanks
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    Maybe try Worwakay. They offer free accommodation and sometimes food in return for a little work.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,611Posts Today

8,976Users online

Martin's Twitter