Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• mckenzie2018
    • By mckenzie2018 8th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Public record information is wrong on report??
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    Public record information is wrong on report?? 8th Mar 18 at 10:17 AM
    Hi guys wondering if someone can advise
    Me. Just recently signed up to Experian and noticed one of my negatives is under public records, when I click on to this their are two judgments but under my mothers name? She is aware she has these and is
    Paying them however what has this got
    To do with me and why is it affecting my score ? Is there anything I can do about this? We stay at the same

Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    • 15,974 Posts
    • 16,962 Thanks
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    Dispute it with Experian.

Remember to check the other CRAs.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 8th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    They may have been applied to your file in error. This happens, particularly if you are residing with a family member of the same name.

Raise the matter with Experian and ask the to correct it. You also need to check the other CRA's. If they have made the same error then they will need to be requested to correct it also.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 8th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 3,944 Posts
    • 2,554 Thanks
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    Your credit file will show information about persons to which you have a financial association. e.g. Do you have/have you had joint accounts with your mother?

Update: Your credit file report should show persons to which you are associated but not any information from their file.
    Last edited by alanq; 08-03-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 8th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    This is the sort of thing that should be reported to the ICO, but unfortunately most people are happy just to get a resolution. Why report it? Because it represents extremely bad data processing practice on the part of the CRA, which can lead to a whole host of problems for those affected. There is no excuse AT ALL for this sort of mistake. Records are keys on, amongst other attributes, date of birth, so assuming you and your mother don't have the same date of birth, this mistake should never happen - unless, as alanq has just pointed out, there's a financial connection. And that's another area of malpractice that CRAs engage in.
    Last edited by tenchy; 08-03-2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Add
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,744Posts Today

6,978Users online

Martin's Twitter