Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 7th Mar 18, 4:38 PM
    • 5,425Posts
    • 7,311Thanks
    Octopus pension advice
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:38 PM
    Octopus pension advice 7th Mar 18 at 4:38 PM
    Friend had phone call from a company called Octopus, offering free advice about state pension. They have said they will call her back - could this be a scam or is it legit?

Just wondered if anyone has heard of Octopus...I haven't.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 7th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 91,593 Posts
    • 58,643 Thanks
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    It will almost certainly be a scam. Cold calling on pensions is being outlawed. No genuine firm does it.

The name "Octopus" is vague enough to make it difficult to find on google and its a name used by a number of genuine firms. Spoofing is a problem in all walks of life as people think they are dealing with a real firm but they are not.

Tell your friend to stop taking notice of cold calls and if she is with BT, then sign up for their call protect option. Its free of charge and blocks most cold callers (only the new ones that have yet to be recognised get through)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • TcpnT
    • By TcpnT 7th Mar 18, 4:55 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:55 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:55 PM
    I can't see why a company would do this when there is widespread free information and advice available about SP.

Sounds to me like a way to get a foot in the door in order to extract other financial/ pension information with a view to then pushing unsuitable high cost products. I would steer well clear.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 7th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    The government website gives free info about the state pension, including online pension forecasts. Link: YASAAEgIvlvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Pensions Advisory Service also gives free info on state pensions. Link:
    • zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 7th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 5,425 Posts
    • 7,311 Thanks
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    Thanks dunstonh, TcpnT and Brynsam. I'll tell her to say she's not interested if they call back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,242Posts Today

8,315Users online

Martin's Twitter