Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• eminemfan001
    • By eminemfan001 6th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 98Thanks
    New bathroom. Where to start?
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    New bathroom. Where to start? 6th Mar 18 at 5:39 PM
    Hi all looking for a bit of advice. We have recently bought our first home and decided to put in a whole new bathroom (it's definitely over due being done. There is even carpet on the sides of the bath !!!128514 but have no idea where to start.

We found a good deal on a whole new suit which will be going in where the old one was but the shower will now have to go on the opposite wall. We have a couple of plumbers coming to give us quotes in the next week.

Bathroom is being delivered start of April but no rush to put it in since we have a garage to store things for a while. We still need to get new floor and decided to go with wet wall instead of tiles round the bath.

What's our next step? Can we start taking wallpaper and carpet up and painting place before everything is installed or better waiting and doing it after? It's our only bathroom so going to have to try and get it all done within a day or 2 (can stay with parents for a couple of days if we really had to)

Should we look into getting someone to help with decorating? It's our first place that we have been allowed to do any diy in and neither of us have a clue about it so any advice is appreciated !!!128522;
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 6th Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    • 24,650 Posts
    • 67,774 Thanks
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:23 PM
    When we do bathrooms it takes days. Usually about 10 once we've got everyone through!

Fitting a bathroom is a building job, it isn't like fitting a wardrobe. If you want it to last it needs a good base and should take time.

You're not really asking where to start if you've already bought a suite. Where did you buy your suite from?

Of course you can remove wallpaper and the carpet etc. before anyone comes. Decorating it is more than a bit enthusiastic as a starting job. It's always a finishing job.

Hopefully one of your plumbers is actually a bathroom fitter. Plumbers are not tilers, electricians, plasterers or carpenters.

We're doing our bathroom at the moment. So far it's taken a weekend to strip it all out, the electrician has been in to first fix, the plumber has done half a day in first fix so far and it's taken another two days to board it out properly. Plumber starts again tomorrow, tiler in on Monday I suspect for four days and then the plumber will come back. Things are moving around a bit and our soil pipes outside are a state and they're all being replaced too.

Yours may not be as comprehensive, but it's worth doing properly. Even the silicone takes 24 hours to dry so your hope of two days is going to be a bit optimistic
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Stantheman
    • By Stantheman 6th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 3,402 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    Be careful ordering and taking delivery of your bathroom suite. I did the same and when the plumber finally got round to installing he noticed a big crack in the bath. The supplier wouldn't replace it as we'd had it a month. Said it had to be checked within 7 days. easy with a bath but not so easy with showers etc.
    You killed me scooter!!
    • Box28
    • By Box28 6th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    You can start taking everything off certainly but don't do any finishing until you know how the plumbing is going to be routed. If you're moving the shower then stuff may need to be hacked/removed to allow for new piping.

Also have you currently got an extractor, do you want better lighting, shaver charger etc? Plan everything you'll need.

I presume you've measured it all up to make sure it's all going to fit?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 6th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 3,379 Posts
    • 5,239 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    I got a builder. Asked him for a quote from scratch . This included him ordering the suite I chose from his catalogue suggestions , including me choosing the flooring and tiles I wanted. He also disposed of everything . Took around 2 weeks. One or 2 of those days he couldn't proceed due to one or 2 things . 2weeks for everything was impressive imho .
    • webcrest043
    • By webcrest043 16th Mar 18, 10:44 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    • 16th Mar 18, 10:44 AM
    • 16th Mar 18, 10:44 AM
    Do you recognize what you wish or are you searching for ideas/inspiration?
    Might be price viewing catalogs to choose on the type of favor you're after.
    I have used Molyn Bathroom Fitting and that their Prices are excellent mostly cheaper.
    Have you gotten a manufacturer currently having good lighting, shaver charger and more? Firstly plan for what you need.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,143Posts Today

8,206Users online

Martin's Twitter