Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• benten69
    • By benten69 6th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    • 305Posts
    • 1,311Thanks
    Oops! ISA Mistake
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    Oops! ISA Mistake 6th Mar 18 at 11:06 AM
    So just got my new ISA from Nationwide opened today and for the first time I can see the account in my online banking. I immediately transferred in £500, then a few hours later I realised that I have another ISA with a different provider which I have deposited into this year, so I immediately transferred my £500 back out of the Nationwide ISA.

As the Nationwide ISA is a flexible ISA will their reports to HMRC show my account as "NIL" when it goes to them after April 5th? Or will it show them I deposited money into 2 accounts during 1 tax year.

I have not used my total ISA allowances for the year, nor have I used my total interest free allowance for the year based on my income for non-ISA accounts (£1000 tax free interest for basic rate & £500 for higher rate income).

So in terms of paying tax on interest it shouldn't make a difference.

Both are Cash ISA's also. Anyone have any ideas what HMRC will say in regards to this?

Will wait until April 6th before I put any more money into the new ISA.
    Emergency Fund Savings - 60.9% Complete
    Adventure / Touring Fund Savings - 0% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | Feb '18: £151,651.01

Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,723Posts Today

8,582Users online

Martin's Twitter