Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 6th Mar 18, 5:27 AM
    • 1,357Posts
    • 13,095Thanks
    O/S Daily Tuesday 6th March 2018
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:27 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 6th March 2018 6th Mar 18 at 5:27 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 2
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 6th Mar 18, 10:07 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 3,512 Thanks
    Csarina i saw those pans but the reviews were awful shame as the principal is really good
    • Judi
    • By Judi 6th Mar 18, 10:26 AM
    • 15,845 Posts
    • 67,739 Thanks
    Morning all,

My head is shot today. Grump found it funny when one of the dogs threw up on my kitchen floor..... He's going to get yelled at when he rings me in his break. Coupled with the fact i had to get up with them twice in the night.

The Blonde One has asked me to have the kids again on Saturday, someone has invited them to a party. I said no.

Youngest.... the battle over brick dust is still on going. All it takes is to brush it off his bag and trousers before he walks into the house.

Holly I hope your appointment goes well.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Judi
    • By Judi 6th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 15,845 Posts
    • 67,739 Thanks
    Prodigal has just been and left... he's been yelled at as well.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 6th Mar 18, 12:16 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 8,817 Thanks
    Hi all.
    Hope you are all reasonably ok.
    Mr Fix It's health took a dive yesterday so I sent him to bed at 8pm. He's a bit better this morning, he thinks it has something to do with his injections ( they are due next week ), it's as if he's coming down off drugs .
    DD and family have gone to their schools this morning with warnings about the state of the pavements, schools covering themselves I suppose - elf and safety at work there. At least the days off has done some good, they have all got over their colds. The snow is still lying and the pavements are lethal but the roads are clear, except for further up the valley, where the council are still clearing.
    Anyway Mr Fix It managed to drive me to Morries this morning to replace the milk and bread ( thought a bit of fresh air would do him good ), it looked like a plague of locusts had been in there. The fruit and veg were MIA, unless you wanted onions, pears or pineapples. Thinking of Nelski there, because there was not one banana to be seen . I'm glad I wasn't going into town ( parallel to Morries) as the queue to even get to the car parks was horrendous !
    We called in the timber yard on the way home for some plywood, although Mr Fix It is now collapsed in his recliner and I think that's where he will stay for the rest of the day ( he looks dreadful ).
    After lunch I shall fill the DW and get that going, there's not much to do on the cleaning front and I sorted the freezers yesterday. Hmmmm looks like I'm looking for something to do, that's a first . I even tried to bake some cheese scones yesterday, not a good outcome . I'll stick to cakes in future at least they are edible . The squirrels seem to like the scones though, but I think they'll eat anything !
    Holly I have my fingers crossed for you today. Hope everything goes as you need it too.
    Polly I'm so sorry to hear about the in-law. I hope something can be worked out.
    Judi sorry you are having such a cr*p day.
    Gers and Elona hope that the man is wrong about more snow. As much as I enjoy looking at it, the after effects seem to linger much too long.
    Hope everyone is soldiering on, sending hugs to anyone who needs or wants one. Take care and stay safe.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Judi
    • By Judi 6th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 15,845 Posts
    • 67,739 Thanks
    Judi sorry you are having such a cr*p day.
    Thank you, i'm ok. Things needed to be said.

Youngest has just rang me. He's working away till Thursday possibly Friday.

It couldnt have come at a better time.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 6th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks

Thought I'd pop by and join in.

I woke up fairly early this morning but have been left feeling exhausted due to a new medication regime so I haven't done much except relax and have some me time. I've been browsing round the internet reading a few interesting articles.

This afternoon I have a psychological wellbeing practitioner coming to visit who is hopefully going to do some therapy with me. I'm currently under our local crisis team due to struggling quite a lot and my mental health has deteriorated since Christmas quite significantly. I'm doing all I can to get back to the place I was before Christmas.

The plan after this is to go to the gym/swimming. My sons dad is picking him up from school and spending some time with him so I'm guessing it gives me some extra me time.

I need to book the boy into breakfast club for tomorrow as I've another CBT appointment to attend which is through work.

I have quite a busy week this week and my emotions are all over the place. I'm trying to see the positives though. I will get better!
    Check out my Diary
    • Judi
    • By Judi 6th Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    • 15,845 Posts
    • 67,739 Thanks
    Welcome Chandelier good to have you aboard.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 6th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 18,837 Thanks
    Back from seeing DD2, she says she feels worse today than she did yesterday which is par for the course. Her neck scan showed that she has Arthritis in her neck. I told her what the library chap said, she laughed.....

DD1 and exOH were going to see her this afternoon. I offered to get her some lunch DGD was out, but she said she was not hungry, she was late having breakfast. We will see her again on Sunday, we were going for lunch as its mothers day, its still on, DGD is cooking.

I washed and dried the sink full of pots and left them on the worktop, I guess they would be back in use before long.

OH took his watch in for service and also got a new battery for his everyday watch.

Cup a soup for lunch, have shepherds pie for tonight's supper. with carrots and cauli.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 6th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 8,817 Thanks
    Csarina I'm glad you have seen your DD but I'm sorry that she's not feeling too good. Hopefully she will feel a bit better by Sunday. Good on DGD for holding the fort, so to speak.
    Chandelier good to " meet you ". You will get a lot of support on here .
    Tea tonight will be a burger as I found some in the bottom of the freezer, so I bought some rolls when out this morning. Mr Fix It is off his food a bit ( not a good sign ) so we may have a few chips too if he feels like it.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 6th Mar 18, 2:04 PM
    • 3,400 Posts
    • 31,133 Thanks
    Hello everyone, thank you for starting the new thread Holly, I hope that your meeting goes/has gone well for you.

Air Ambulance Helicopter is currently circling looking for a landing spot, not many gaps it could land in

Welcome to Chandelier. Nannywindow I hope that Mr Fixit feels better soon. Judi - it it sounds like a few days without the menfolk at home is just what you need - enjoy. Polly such awful news about the family member, made so much worse by the distance and the family logistics. Speky you are very welcome to that snow, it has all gone here thank goodness. I do hope that that weather man has got it wrong for once.

Not much happening here, but several cheering things:- my new binoculars (my treat to me) have arrived and with the help of the good old internet I think I have got them set up right. The Crocus have survived being buried under the snow and look lovely and the mini daffodils will be in bloom very soon. Other winters I have been able to buy little pots of them in the SM for £1 and when they have finished being cheerful in the house have planted them out in the garden, OH has been out cycling for the first time in what seems ages and is a happy, if tired man, he has just made me a cuppa too which I am enjoying with a (some) GF shortbread biscuits which are the best that I have made so far

Take care all.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 6th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    • 6,200 Posts
    • 38,574 Thanks
    Poppy - sorry to read about your SIL's DM - and so far away too. I hope that something can be arranged in time.

Welcome to Chandelier.

No promised rain. Glasgow had another battering of snow although the following rain chased it away again. It's just still bitter cold here and no sun at all.

I've just been out in the 'front garden' with a friend to view the space. It's been a neglected spot for years and years, it'sjust across the track from my front door so I had it all cut back last July. Then a friend sprayed it so all the huge horrendous weeds died back. Now there's growth again. The plan is to have it resprayed in about a month, then the digger will be brought in to turn the soil over and level it. Another local chap will be making me a couple of raised beds for it. Probably next year I'll have a seating area made so I can sit out there, watch the sun set to my right whilst sipping an appropriate beverage.

DM's birthday weekend is panning out well. Today a set of friends invited her to a pre-birthday supper at their house for Thursday evening. Friday our Berlin visitors arrive and we eat birthday cake and drink wine. Saturday is the afternoon tea. Sunday the visitors leave (and I do too). Monday DM has friends for coffee and cake and finally Tuesday she is going out to visit other friends for a birthday tea. Phew.

Now I'm going to do some vegging in front of trash telly.
    • Elona
    • By Elona 6th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks

I am so sorry to hear dil's news.

I have spent the morning trying to get better tariffs for gas and electric which should last for three years and save me around £70 a year. I am getting someone round next week to read the meters and have been put on a priority list which I feel a bit guilty about.

Have just been hunting round upstairs for the shawl and christening dress I remember putting away carefully. Rather than getting panicked I have decided to just look in a couple of places once a week and take my time.

I made a big pot of chicken and vegetable soup and had some sausages and low fat home made wedges for tea and have a sainsbob's order coming tomorrow with some low sugar and decaff soft drinks, butter, veg and fruit.

Hugs to all
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 6th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Good afternoon one & all.

Holly, I hope the meeting went well. I hope they can see that you are looking after yourself especially re food & cleaning

Here in Dublin, the snow piles in the city centre have mostly melted away. Hotel breakfast was wonderful - buffet style full fry up with pots of coffee/tea brought to the table. Went down about 9:30 a.m. and the restaurant was full & we were not the last ones down

Returned to room to pick up coats & go to the bank. Had to buzz to get in & then a long queue

Having previously checked by phone that we could open an Euro account, the young man who spoke to us informed us that we couldn’t open an account - the whole reason for the trip to Dublin! Advised us to try other banks
    Anyway the next one we walked into were happy to deal with us & we have an appointment tomorrow morning

Walked down to the river & had a stroll - DH had a hair cut while I sat & watched the world go by Headed into the touristy bit & bought a few postcards (for those who send us postcards), had coffee & bombalini (mini doughnuts) in an Italian cafe. Then into Ske..hers” shop - I thought they were only online & treated myself to a pair - 20% discount Now I know what size, I can order another pair online - they are really comfortable

Bit more walking, bought stamps in the main post office then another coffee + cake & back to hotel. All in all about 3.5 hours out & about. I have written & posted the postcards.

Now I am listening to my DH snoring while I read some of the threads.

Will go out later & have a pub meal &

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone

• TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 6th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 3,876 Posts
    • 25,592 Thanks
    POPPY I was so sad to read your tragic news about your DIL. Of course she wants to be with her mum at this time and I so hope something can be sorted out for her to get there.

Welcome to CHANDELIER. Sorry life is not being very nice to you just now.

NAN I Hope Mr Fix-it soon picks up a bit. I know Mr TA falls off just before his injection is due so you could well be right.

I don't know where the days are going just now. They are over in no time leaving me with very little to show for it! This morning's doc visit was a bit worrying. It was mostly about the Nitrofurantoin I take once a day to keep my UTI's at bay after the consultant wrote me off after 3 years when he couldn't cure me. It seems it has come to light there can be bad side effects from taking them long term and the doc wanted to change to something else. I explained that NOTHING else works and when he had browsed the correspondence he agreed I had been on every a/b and this was the only option. They can affect lungs, kidneys and liver, so now I have to have spirometry and blood tests 3/4 times a year to keep a check on them. I'd rather that than have the miserable days of the neverending UTI's back. There's always summat!

Got stocked up on victuals etc afterwards. Quite a few bare spaces around still but got most of what we needed. I also nipped into Iceland for my free birthday treat (a bit early!) of a dessert if I presented my bonus card! I chose some eclairs which we have just sampled and very nice they were!

Other than watching Shetland (unless I fall asleep on the sofa) not much else is planned for this evening. Take care folks xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,120Posts Today

7,140Users online

Martin's Twitter