Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• imogenc
    • By imogenc 5th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Managing My Savings & The Best Accounts
    • 5th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    Managing My Savings & The Best Accounts 5th Mar 18 at 11:20 PM
    I’m 19 years old and currently working full time in my gap year before going to university in September.
    Working full time has given me the chance to save quite a lot of money, however I am still using the same NatWest bank account that I opened when I was 11 years old.
    Some of you may be screaming because this is probably the worst thing to maximise my savings - I think the interest rate is terrible.
    I want to maximise my savings I just don’t know the best way to do it.
    I have considered having a current account with a decent interest rate for my income to be paid into, and then a savings account to save some money every month, however these usually have a limit and I want to save £500 a month, with an initial deposit of £4500 which I’ve already saved.
    Because of this, I am now thinking about opening a current account for my income to be paid into, a savings account where I save the maximum amount each month and then a separate current account where I transfer a proportion of the money that I earn each month as ‘spending money’.
    I would be grateful if anyone could let me know if they think this is my best option, if they have any other suggestions, and which bank accounts they think I would benefit from the most.

Thanks a lot ! This has really been stressing me out recently, as having my savings and spending money in the same account has made it hard to keep track of what I ‘can’ and ‘can’t’ spend.
Page 1
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 6th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 7,549 Thanks
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    If you are prepared for a bit of admin you could open 2 regular savers to get a decent rate on your £500 pcm. A Nationwide FlexDirect bank account would give you 5% on £2500 balance in the first year - you could then transfer elsewhere with a switching bonus or keep to give ongoing access to the Nationwide RS. You should be able to get a decent rate on most of it.
    Once you are a student you could get a Santander 123 Student account which would give 3% on £2k with no fees - plus it would give you access to a 5% RS for £200 pcm.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 6th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 24,832 Posts
    • 14,581 Thanks
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    A Nationwide Flexdirect account as above would be a good idea - it would give you 5% on £2,500 for a year and give you access to the Flexclusive regular monthly saver - 5% on £250 a month.

Don't forget that you must deposit £1000 a month into the Flexdirect from an external account to get the interest- it can be in and out the same day by FP.

You might consider a regular monthly E Saver from Virgin for the other £250 a month you wish to save. False&FromETS2=False

You can keep your Natwest account for your spending money.

There are other savings accounts available to you.

For when you become a student

And if you will be a first time buyer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,051Posts Today

8,981Users online

Martin's Twitter