Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Abby87
    • By Abby87 5th Mar 18, 10:41 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sky Alternative
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:41 PM
    Sky Alternative 5th Mar 18 at 10:41 PM
    Sorry if this is a duplicate post, I've tried to see other people's suggestions and think I have it clear in my head, but just wondered if anyone had anything else to say.

I've been with Sky for the last seven nearly eight years, every year have haggled a better deal. I tried to do this today for the entertainment package, HD package inc F1 channel, but they could not give me any discount on my bill £36 a month. Due to this, I've cancelled!

Before ringing them, I checked my options. I watch a lot of Sky channels, which I think are covered by Now TV. I also watch a lot of catch up TV and box sets, as well as live TV. The reason I tried to keep F1 was for my husband, it's the only thing he watches apart from The Simpsons!

We also have Amazon Prime and Fire stick, which I have only recently started to use for my 2 year old son, this is valid until Novemeber.

So my question is, am I right in thinking I need a free view/freesat/you view box that pauses and rewinds and records as well as Now TV? Also, do I need Netflix? Also, I have a bog standard TV, not smart, so how do I watch Now TV or Netflix?

Sorry for the long post.
Page 1
    • almillar
    • By almillar 6th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 7,239 Posts
    • 2,923 Thanks
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    So my question is, am I right in thinking I need a free view/freesat/you view box that pauses and rewinds and records as well as Now TV
    Yes. A Now TV box streams from the internet. No aerial, satellite or recording. A Freesat box will plug in exactly where the Sky box was, with the same 2 cables the Sky box had from the dish.

Also, do I need Netflix?
    Need is a funny word. Maybe try starting without it and you can add it when you run out of stuff to watch. No point paying for it every month if you're not watching it.

Also, I have a bog standard TV, not smart, so how do I watch Now TV or Netflix?
    Do you have an XBox 360, XBox ONE, Playstation 3/4, Blu Ray player, a computer, or many other devices? There are NowTV and Netflix 'apps' for them. If not, buy 'something' (another discussion, perhaps) and you can plug it into your TV via HDMI, and enjoy. I'd suggest a PS3 as a great media monster - it will get you lots of catch up stuff (iPlayer etc), a Blu Ray player, and your NowTV and Netflix (and Amazon Prime). You can get them really cheap now, and you can get a very nice remote for them too.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 8th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    • 790 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    OP, a Now TV box will give you Now TV and some other apps (BBC etc.). It will have Netflix next year but not yet. My PVR has Netflix and Now TV (but only Now TV movies) so wouldn't be any good for Sky sports. A PVR will allow you to record programmes etc. and use the built in apps. A PS3 is a good idea as they are dirt cheap but very useful. You could pick up a TV type remote for them too, so it's easier to use. They don't need any subscription unlike PS4.
    If your husband watches F1, you can be clever and mix up weekly passes on Now TV (about £7) with the free coverage on C4. If it's live on C4, watch it on there, if not buy a weekly pass (if he wants to watch qualy as well), or a day pass if race only. Should work out cheaper than a monthly sports pass - they are about £32 on Now TV. Entertainment is about £8 a month.

Netflix, Now TV, Amazon - very similar type formats - I find Amazon and Now better for movies, Netflix has more TV programmes I like. Having used all 3 over the last 12 months, I'd say Now TV has the better overall offering for me - you need to decide what you want. The best bit is you can switch between them each month to watch the content you like. The down side with Now TV is that their catch up TV often has episodes which are only available for 29 days.
    TBH if you aren't happy paying £36 a month and still want all that content, then you won't be saving much with Now TV and Netflix and Amazon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

61Posts Today

2,629Users online

Martin's Twitter