Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Mik_Rayall
    • By Mik_Rayall 5th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Newbie with car problem VW
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    Newbie with car problem VW 5th Mar 18 at 10:24 PM
    Hi everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong place but asking for your help. I'm really low in cash so I bought a cheap car, you can guess where this is going.

Its all OK apart from its really hard to select gear, it'll go in and stay in - drive and everything I want. No noises, no slipping out, no vibrations its just a work out shifting.

The car is a 1997 VW Polo 1.6 Petrol with 140,000 on the clock. Of course I think clutch but the biting point seems to be halfway still. I was reading of these having a manual adjuster on the clutch cable or something? I have a haynes manual which mentions nothing of having a master or slave cylinder.

Trust me I don't know what I'm talking about, I've just been reading on the net trying to diagnose.
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 5th Mar 18, 10:50 PM
    • 11,222 Posts
    • 6,438 Thanks
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:50 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 10:50 PM
    Well go on a forum dedicated to Polo's I'm sure you will get the right solution.
    • facade
    • By facade 6th Mar 18, 6:34 AM
    • 3,061 Posts
    • 1,589 Thanks
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:34 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 6:34 AM
    Sounds like the clutch is dragging. It will come out of gear easily when the engine isn't running?

There should be a locknut and a big plastic nut on the end of the cable inside the engine bay.
    Slacken the locknut and tighten the big nut up a few turns.

Don't overdo it or it will slip and wear the clutch out.

Polos are also known for the pedal box cracking and the cable fixing coming adrift, so it doesn't pull as much as it should, and the clutch doesn't release......

Join a polo forum as DUTR says, or google Polo clutch adjustment
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    • 2,455 Posts
    • 1,779 Thanks
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    I'd also change the gearbox oil as well. I'm betting its never been done. On most cars with high mileage with difficult gear changing issues changing the oil solves a great deal of it and it is something that is cheap to do even at a garage and well within the capabilities of a DIYer.
    • Mik_Rayall
    • By Mik_Rayall 6th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    Thank you Guys, yes in hindsight joining and posting on a dedicated VW forum would have maybe been the best idea HOWEVER I wouldn't have got the chance to talk to you lovely creations now would I?

I will try the suggestions you have mentioned and report back post weekend just for your information. Thank you once again!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,120Posts Today

7,140Users online

Martin's Twitter