Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Mermaid89
    • By Mermaid89 5th Mar 18, 6:38 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 8Thanks
    FTB Life Insurance
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:38 PM
    FTB Life Insurance 5th Mar 18 at 6:38 PM
    Hi all,
    After some advice. We used a broker to obtain our mortgage and currently waiting to exchange. We filled out a questionnaire with the broker who then passed us over to some companies for quotes. My husband has temporal lobe epilepsy which is under control and has been for years. Royal London called me today asking for a medical screening, but for me and not my husband.

The doctor whom would be conducting the screening advised he would want height, weight, blood pressure, and a urine sample. Completely baffled why this is needed as a non smoker, no drugs nothing to suggest im a risk, but felt uncomfortable so I politely declined. My question is should I stay with the broker as we would need some kind of cover for the epilepsy but don't want to be put in a position again whereby it is me only being screened for some unknown reason or will it be that every company will want to screen me?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Weighty1
    • By Weighty1 6th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 284 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 9:02 AM
    You'd need to look at the terms of business with the mortgage broker. Some brokers only offer a fee free service if you take the subsequent insurance via them.

The medical screening could have been requested for several reasons. Some companies now ask for random checks, or it could have been because of something like your height/weight ratio, or if you've got something like raised blood pressure but not had it checked for more than 12-months. It could also be due to the level of cover being applied for. Higher sums assured sometimes require things like medicals.
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 6th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 859 Thanks
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    Why not just agree to the medical, it's a perfectly normal requirement when applying for Life Insurance and as above there can be any number of reasons. Medicals cost the insurer money so they are not asking for one without good reason. You could waste an awful lot of time trying to find an insurer that definitely won't ask for a medical, your request in itself might also ring alarm bells with the underwriter. If your partner has a medical condition whereby he has regular check ups his Doctor may have already provided the info Royal London required to assess his application.
    Last edited by Nearlyold; 06-03-2018 at 4:28 PM.
    • Mermaid89
    • By Mermaid89 6th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    It's been sorted now thank you for the replies
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,346Posts Today

6,189Users online

Martin's Twitter