Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• skooldaze
    • By skooldaze 5th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    • 101Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Silly newbie question
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    Silly newbie question 5th Mar 18 at 4:01 PM

Bought a car in April 17 and it was registered in October 2016.

To keep a full service history going, do I have the service based on a year after the car was registered or a year after I bought the car.

I've heard conflicting things about only after 10k miles too.

Basically I want to confidently say I have a full service history when it comes to sell it.
Page 1
    • benten69
    • By benten69 5th Mar 18, 4:08 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:08 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:08 PM
    There is more to it than just "service every 1 year or 10,000 miles" these days. If you can tell us what car and what engine we can give you more specific service intervals.

Also, it is ALWAYS from the date the car was registered, that is the day the car was first officially "used". For example you might buy a car 11 months after it was first registered and it might be due a service in 1 month, you cannot ignore the service for another year just because you have only owned it for 1 month. The car itself will be 12 months old and if that's when the manufacturer says it needs to be serviced then you'll have to do it, regardless of how long you personally have owned it.

Failing to service at correct intervals will void any warranty you may have.
    Emergency Fund Savings - 60.9% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | Feb '18: £151,651.01

• Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 5th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    If October 2016 is the date of first registration it should have been serviced in October 2017 or x amount of miles. (Whichever came first)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,242Posts Today

8,315Users online

Martin's Twitter