Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• nubbz
    • By nubbz 5th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Car went into the back of me, what can I claim?
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    Car went into the back of me, what can I claim? 5th Mar 18 at 1:20 PM
    Hello guys!

Recently a car went into the back of me and done the back end of my e36 bmw good.
    Insurer is coming Wednesday to probably confirm it is a write off...
    What I want to know is what can I claim for?

I'm using the insurance of the guy who hit me as he has admitted full liability. Problem is my e36 is a 20 year old car so I have a feeling I am going to get stitched up on the valuation..

I paid about £1000 for it but its only done about 80k miles and was mint!
    Thing is though I spent over £1000 servicing it and putting new tyres and brakes on it less then 3 months ago. Can I claim back the cost of getting the car serviced as it's obviously going to go to waste now.

Also if I disagree with the price they give me how long can I contest it for? Also if I contest it do they have to provide me with a courtesy car until I agree on a valuation.
    I have been given a courtesy car until the end of the week which is when I presume they will give me a settlement but I just want to make sure if I refuse the offer for being to low they have to provide me with a car until we can reach an agreement.

Also is there anything else I can claim for?
    I'm a youngish driver (26) and this is my 1st year of having car insurance so no doubt my premium will sky rocket even though im not claiming on my own insurance.. Can I claim back the cost of an increased insurance premium?
Page 3
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 8th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    "This generally means the price it would have sold for at a reputable dealership just before it was damaged or stolen"

They will start at Trade and you will have a massive fight to get to the level of a private sale never have I heard of them paying full retail.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

339Posts Today

3,163Users online

Martin's Twitter