Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• labp04
    • By labp04 5th Mar 18, 5:26 AM
    • 259Posts
    • 102Thanks
    New to hatched house with open fire - which fuel?
    • 5th Mar 18, 5:26 AM
    New to hatched house with open fire - which fuel? 5th Mar 18 at 5:26 AM
    Hi, I think the title about says it all. We are currently burning logs but "worry" about sparks so are playing with "hotties" and wondering if anyone has any thoughts re using a smokeless fuel or other? We have no access to gas and there is already background oil fired central heating installed. Any thoughts will be very welcome
Page 1
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 5th Mar 18, 7:39 AM
    • 3,447 Posts
    • 2,120 Thanks
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:39 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:39 AM
    Has the chimney got a spark arrestor? May be worth considering but have a look at this - for more information
    Last edited by matelodave; 05-03-2018 at 7:41 AM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 5th Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 986 Thanks
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    I take it you mean Thatched house?
    • Krapsite
    • By Krapsite 5th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    No sparks with smokeless fuel and less mess. If you burn really well seasoned hard wood- oak and ash and beech. There is little chance of sparks. I season my wood for at least seven years in a dry windy shed. Never burn softwood especially pine which will give you sparks.I have a 24 foot high chimney and multi fuel stove and never see sparks jumping off the wood. I burn wood in autumn and spring but smokeless in November to March.Obviously an open fire is less efficient by far and burns much faster as you cannot control the burn properly.
    • labp04
    • By labp04 7th Mar 18, 6:00 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:00 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:00 AM
    Thanks for the replies to-date and here are a couple of observations:

Krapsite: 7 years seasoning, wow! That sounds like one heck of a big shed or a big area for a number of sheds. I'm guessing by "smokeless" you mean a mined derivative which is something we are considering

matelodave: no there isn't a spark arrestor and, to be honest, following conversations with a local thatcher and our insurance company, it's unlikely that we ever will have one given the potential for hazard they provide

bertiewhite: yes, I mean Thatched house

Again thanks for commenting
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,739Posts Today

8,652Users online

Martin's Twitter