Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Jamie91Mc
    • By Jamie91Mc 4th Mar 18, 10:07 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Staff mortgage & BIK tax implications... HELP
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:07 PM
    Staff mortgage & BIK tax implications... HELP 4th Mar 18 at 10:07 PM

I work for a high street bank and currently have a £75K mortgage in my sole name on a staff rate following the BOE baste rate, currently 0.5%.

At the minute its all very simple and makes perfect sense for me to be on the staff rate.

However, I'm looking to move and have put an offer on a house this weekend which has spurred me into checking my figures to make sure they're concrete. I have a mortgage in principal from my current provider/employer...

But I've done a bit of reading and am now unsure how beneficial a staff mortgage would be in my new situation; I would have a part staff, part public rate mortgage

Property value; £220,000
    Staff mortgage: £100,000 @ 0.5%
    Public rate: £89,000 @ (say) 2.5%
    40 year term

I have questions around how much BIk tax I would pay on this (i'm a basic rate tax payer) and whether it would actually be better to go for a full public rate mortgage. Does anybody here have any idea how much BIK tax i would be liable for? or how to calculate it/

Also the new mortgage would be in joint names with my partner who does not work for the bank, would she also have a BIk liability?

i;m a bit lost to say the least!

Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 4th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • 57,891 Posts
    • 51,262 Thanks
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    The official rate used for calculating BIK is currently 2.5%.

BIK is calculated on the difference between the OR and the Staff Rate (SR).

To keep matters simple and purely as an example.

The BIK would be 2.5% - 0.5% =2%

£100k @2% = £2,000. At the basic rate of tax 20% = £400 additional tax to pay.

As you would have a repayment mortgage then the actual tax charge would be lower.

If you borrowed over a shorter term than 40 years. Then this would reduce your tax bill a little as well.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 5th Mar 18, 6:43 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:43 AM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:43 AM
    If it!!!8217;s the high street bank I!!!8217;m thinking if there should be a BIK calculator on the internal internet.
    The mortgage advisors can!!!8217;t give you details on the tax impacts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

2,396Users online

Martin's Twitter