Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• RickM
    • By RickM 4th Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Viagogo and event cancellations
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    Viagogo and event cancellations 4th Mar 18 at 6:06 PM
    I purchased tickets some time ago via viagogo for Paul Weller at the Genting Arena - the first and probably the last time I will purchase using viagogo. The event was unfortunately cancelled a few hours before show start time due to the bad weather.

I am now in a situation where hopefully it will be rescheduled and myself and the 3 other ticket holders
    will be able to go, but we wont know until we see the new date, and we may want to get a refund.
    But will we be able to?

When the promoters and venue cancel an event, you would expect there to be a refund option if we cannot go to a rescheduled date. But what is the situation when buying from viagogo, at well above face value as it now transpires?

Their Ts&Cs seem very unclear. I was told by one of their people over the phone a couple of days before the event that there are no refunds unless the event is 'cancelled'. This at least suggests they do have some kind of refund policy. But would I get back the full amount I paid them? Or might I only end up getting back the face value printed on the tickets?

The second point is that although the word 'Cancellation' was clearly used by the venue and promoters, and on the Paul Weller web site, viagogo seem to be saying it is not 'cancelled'. They have sent me an email today as follows:

We are contacting you to inform you that Paul Weller at Genting Arena has been postponed (Order xxxxxxxxxxx).
    Please acknowledge receipt of this email by CLICKING HERE
    We will email you as soon as the new event date gets announced. The tickets you originally purchased will remain valid for the postponed event. Please note that we are unable to process refunds for these tickets as the event has not been cancelled

Some interesting points:
    1) despite the consistent use of the word 'cancelled' by venue and promoters etc, viagogo are saying the event was only 'postponed'.
    2) so are they trying to tempt me to click and accept receipt of their email and in doing so therefore accept their definition per the final sentence above?' (my highlight in red)
    3) their web site Ts&Cs are very vague about refunds for event cancellations

It all feels a bit grey and murky. I hope to still be able to go to the event if they do reschedule, and then will have simply learned the hard way not to use viagogo in future as a route for buying tickets at a fair value. But what will happen if I try and claim a refund?

Has anyone else had similar experiences, or is anyone even facing the same situation for this event?

Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 4th Mar 18, 6:13 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:13 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 6:13 PM
    Viagogo are ticket touts. They might refund you if the concert isn't rearranged. If a new date is announced it is likely your options are limited to going or not going.
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,242Posts Today

8,315Users online

Martin's Twitter