Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 4th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    • 1,320Posts
    • 2,646Thanks
    Artificial grass - Opinions
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    Artificial grass - Opinions 4th Mar 18 at 9:05 AM
    So while looking at the design trends thread i was surprised to see how many people were very very anti fake grass.

I am currently saving up to do over our garden and after a year wrestling with the grass (we have a tree that drys out one end of the garden (under a tpo) and a marshy area at the other with sun being scant on one side - keeping the grass nice was almost impossible - even with a lawn treatment company coming in every few weeks.

So I had my heart set on some fake turf (the best quality we could afford so its not greengrocer grass!) but seeing how many of you were very veheminant against it got me wondering if i'll be making a mistake.

Would artificial turf put you off a House? (it will be landscaped into the garden - so not a weirdly perfect square of green)
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
Page 2
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 4th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 4,393 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    It would put me off, mainly because the only people I know who have it are dog owners who want grass but couldn't keep it alive because of the dog pee. I know people who have it because it's easy to hose down and pick up the more solid deposits, but I just can't see how that wouldn't start to smell really, really bad, especially in the summer. I know that's not everyone's reason for having it but the idea of it just puts me off.

I can see how it would be a good solution for those who want 'green' in small town gardens but I'd rather have some kind of planting, if only for environmental reasons.
    Originally posted by Callie22
    I have two dogs and have to get the hose out every night in summer to water the plants, so it's no biggie to hose the 'lawn' at the same time.
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 4th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    If you want it, have it. First and foremost we live in our own houses and doing them for future buyers and trying to please all of them is pointless and just ends in compromise.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    This. Unless you are doing up to sell, or have actual definite plans to move, then do what you would like, it is your home to live in.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 4th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 2,646 Thanks
    True, as we looking to stay for some time that would make sense. I' will admit i was rather surprised at how many remarked it would totally put them off buying.

Being our house has already got some limitations to potential purchasers adding another by choice seemed a bit....
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • bris
    • By bris 4th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 7,415 Posts
    • 6,415 Thanks
    Price is a big hurdle for fake grass. the cheap stuff just looks terrible but the good stuff can look amazing.

I have seen a small patch of the good stuff down and it does look great. Problem is it was £20 a square meter back when they got it and it hasn't came down much since then.

You also need to factor in the preparation costs which takes a lot of work too, so it isn't the best option for most lawns of any decent size.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 4th Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    • 16,823 Posts
    • 15,110 Thanks
    Problem is it was £20 a square meter back when they got it and it hasn't came down much since then.
    Originally posted by bris
    Ooof. So £12,500 for the OP's 25 x 25...
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 4th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 6,913 Posts
    • 48,868 Thanks
    kerri gt
    We looked at fake grass for our garden but ultimately to have it weak laid and good quality, it was cost prohibitive. I would be put off by 1980s style AstroTurf but well done I wouldn't. Even if it was truly awful, if the rest of the house was right, it would just be under the list of things to change. Better than a fridge freezer, car tyres and 10ft deep brambles in the back garden to tackle IMO.

One thing to note though is that the 'grass' can get very very hot in the summer sun. Something to bear in mind, esp with kids / pets.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 4th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • 1,226 Posts
    • 3,267 Thanks
    I'd buy a house with artificial grass in preference to an identical one that had decking all over it or was covered in pea shingle like our current garden was originally.

Artificial grass would, at least, be much easier to get rid off than the other two. I've had to manually shift several tonnes of pea shingle just to get some plants in and the soil beneath was compressed so hard it was like digging in concrete. Now most of it is cleared the garden drains much better than it did too (though that is probably down to the two or sometimes three layers of "semi-permeable" membrane that was underneath the shingle).

In any event, do whatever you want to make your garden better for you, constantly looking over your shoulder to see what "the market" impact would be is no way to enjoy living somewhere especially when you are talking about something that is relatively easily changeable.

Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 4th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 16,823 Posts
    • 15,110 Thanks
    Now most of it is cleared the garden drains much better than it did too (though that is probably down to the two or sometimes three layers of "semi-permeable" membrane that was underneath the shingle).
    Originally posted by StumpyPumpy
    VERY likely. I dug a French drain a little while back, after an underground spring changed course... The membrane the builder's merchant initially sold me was UTTERLY useless. It floated, rather than permeated (if that's not a word, it should be). Right stuff in, and it worked perfectly.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 4th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 11,582 Posts
    • 71,837 Thanks
    someone in my village is trying to sell his house, he has artificial grass on one level and boulders on another. The grass might have been practical once but the 2 big dogs have pooped and pooped all over it, many many times, hardly ever removed and then it is played on by their children. Absolutely disgusting and any cat and dog mess would not be taken down by worms. I would not look past the garden, it would be a deal breaker, ie short cuts here in the garden, so what other shortcuts are there?
    • Skippy13
    • By Skippy13 4th Mar 18, 3:05 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    We!!!8217;ve got it and it looks so much better than the hideous, sunken weed patch that was there before. We!!!8217;ve got a very narrow garden and it was a waste of time getting the mower out for it so we decided to go artificial. Ours was around £45 per metre so we wouldn!!!8217;t have been able to do it if the garden was bigger.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 4th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 2,445 Posts
    • 6,675 Thanks
    I wouldn't be put off because I'd just plan to get rid of it and get turf, but it might affect how much I was willing to pay.

I don't particularly like the look, but that's not the main reason I am 'anti' fake grass, its the environmental/nature reasons that put me off.

I love having birds in my garden for one thing, would never do anything that might reduce that.
    • victoriavictorious
    • By victoriavictorious 4th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    I think it's absolutely fine but only in a very small area, eg a courtyard or as part of a roof garden, etc as long as it was the good quality type and blended in well with plenty of real planting around it.
    It certainly wouldn't put me off buying a house the way that paving slabs (and too much decking) would; they would be definite deal breakers for me.
    • Skippy13
    • By Skippy13 4th Mar 18, 6:15 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    The environmental side wasn!!!8217;t a consideration for me. I!!!8217;ve got a cat and we!!!8217;ve cat proofed the garden so I!!!8217;ve never encouraged birds into the garden as it seems a bit cruel!

One of the main reasons we went for artificial grass was how low maintenance it is. I would never have gone for one of the cheap ones as they look awful but I don!!!8217;t like gardening, although I like a nice garden, so it made more sense than turf.
    • stripedbanana
    • By stripedbanana 4th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    The garden of the house we are buying has artificial grass and it's a bonus for me! It's not a level garden so the fact we don't have to mow a difficult space is a positive for me! My opinion may change once we actually live there, but for now I see it as a positive.
    • thelem
    • By thelem 4th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    We've just offered on a place that has artificial grass in the garden. It is definitely a negative for us, but it's just one of a number of things we'd change once we moved in. An important question for us is what's under the grass. If it's just wood and weed proof membrane then soil then it should be pretty easy to get rid of. If it's concrete or paving underneath then that's a bigger job.
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 5th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 2,810 Posts
    • 3,148 Thanks
    Artifical grass doesn't cost £20/m2... that may be the price of a cheap grass for the roll alone... I can't imagine ANYONE having an area 25x25m done due to the cost...think the price of a Range Rover!

Getting rid of it and returning an area to proper grass is also going to be horribly expensive. You'll need skips and skips, possibly diggers... then imports of soil and turf. It's not a simple cheap job to rectify.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 5th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    • 5,502 Posts
    • 11,643 Thanks
    It wouldn't put me off buying a house. I quite like artificial grass. I have 2 big dogs so it would be much easier to look after plus I HATE cutting the grass.

Unless you really look after grass, cut it all the time and feed it it never looks good.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 5th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 30,304 Posts
    • 57,018 Thanks
    For the benefit of those who are seeing the references to LemonSqueezer, but cba to trawl through and find the link from another page of the linked thread...

I don't think that looks particularly good, but for a small urban patch like that, I can see the benefits.

For 25m x 25m...? No.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I would rather have hard landscaping than that 'lawn'.

Our last house had a long thin garden as many terraced houses have, we had no lawn at all, just raised beds, planters, a pond and places to sit. Looked great.

The bungalow we live in now has a big enough garden to have a lawn, flowerbeds and more informal barked areas with a pond and places to sit. It's a wildlife haven. We are about to redesign it so that there is less lawn and more flowerbed and hard landscaping, but we won't be having artificial lawn.
    • Chumphrey81
    • By Chumphrey81 5th Mar 18, 3:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Personally i do not like artificial grass, but i can definitely see the pros for having it. It certainly would not put me off buying a house as if i wanted to, i would simply replace the artificial grass for real.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 5th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 13,081 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    My dad's an old school gardener and his face was classic when he saw my neighbours had installed a fake lawn....

You don't have to have lawn in difficult areas; there are loads of interesting bog plants (very wildlife friendly) you could grow in the marshy area, and you could try shade lovers around the tree.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,077Posts Today

8,577Users online

Martin's Twitter