Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Pensioner1
    • By Pensioner1 3rd Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Retirement Flat - Energy advice
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    Retirement Flat - Energy advice 3rd Mar 18 at 10:01 PM
    We have just purchased a small ( 47 sq mtr) one bedroom 2nd floor , centrally situated retirement flat in town centre. Purpose built block in 1998 - original heating/water system. No gas.
    The flat has two old and ugly yellowing ! original storage heaters , one in bedroom and one in lounge - Creda Slimline combi. The heating I think has been Economy 7 tariff. There is a large super seven hot water / immersion tank in hall cupboard.

The flat needs total refurb. and we really would like any advice please regarding the best heating /hot water system to use regarding economy, efficiency and aesthetics if possible.
    The bathroom has a shower over the bath ; a number of the other flats have replaced bath with electric shower.

I assume with the present heating system that the night storage heaters heat the hot water in the tank? We have always had gas ; all electric is completely new to us.

Possibly usually for a retirement flat, the flat will be unoccupied and empty for frequent weeks of the year . Possibly up to 4 months out of 12 but split over the year. It will be checked whilst we are away.

The hot water tank in a very useful storage cupboard takes up a lot of room and we would like to get rid of the if its a sensible options.

The storage heaters are 20 years old - should we replace ? - Dimplex Quantum ??

Thoughts are to replace the bath and over shower with electric shower - if there is sufficient water pressure ?

Thoughts are to install Quooker Combi or Grohe Red Instant boiling water tap in kitchen to facilitate all needs - yes very expensive item but again might help get rid of huge hot water tank ?

This would only leave sink in bathroom with no hot water which we could live with.

We are only in our early 60s and fit and very active; want to try and avoid an overheated environment. The block is very warm anyway.

Grateful for any advice please. Thank you
Page 3
    • J B
    • By J B 11th Mar 18, 6:53 PM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    J B
    That said I do want to try and future proof the flat but we are used to living in very modern/contemporary - little use of heating ( windows open) and not much need for hot water in the kitchen. Very minimalist in design.

The problem is I cant ever see us using the economy 7. There are only 2 storage heaters in the flat. I in the bedroom that I think we may want to take out as we are used to sleeping in unheated bedroom with window open. The other storage heater is in the lounge.
    Originally posted by Pensioner1
    The two things I have highlighted above sort of contradict each other.
    You may be fit marathon runners at the moment, but as it's a 'retirement flat' I will have to assume that you will be getting older and with this you may become less mobile and more susceptible to the cold weather.
    If that's the case, then in the future ... you may need some heating.
    During prolonged cold spells (such as recently) what's going to stop your water pipes freezing up?

I suppose, simply, you could take the storage heaters away and then when you feel the need, you could buy some new ones perhaps?
    Certainly, ditch the massive immersion/hot water tank, but think to the future!

There was an old guy who worked for my dad. One very cold winter someone asked him if he was concerned about his energy bills? His reply was simple ...
    "8ugger being cold"
    Last edited by J B; 11-03-2018 at 6:54 PM. Reason: trying to get round the swear filter ;)
    • Pensioner1
    • By Pensioner1 11th Mar 18, 7:06 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Yes thank you
    You are right we are trying to future proof and will definitely need heating at some stage even now . Maybe using electric radiator may be better as can just be turned on when needed . Fortunately we seem to be surrounded by the heat of the other flats so that helps .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,110Posts Today

8,161Users online

Martin's Twitter