Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Staceyjean
    • By Staceyjean 3rd Mar 18, 1:34 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 13Thanks
    Cerebral palsy
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:34 AM
    Cerebral palsy 3rd Mar 18 at 1:34 AM
    My son has cerebral palsy and started school in September.
    He is not managing as well as I hoped. I currently only receive child benefit and am wondering if there is any other help available. Where w would I start looking?
Page 2
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 3rd Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 6,413 Posts
    • 11,575 Thanks
    I think it can be hard when you're not sure if it's his disability or his age that's holding him back at the moment.

Handwriting is a tricky one, I work with a doctor who's handwriting is appalling and he's a top surgeon who reconstructs eye sockets and faces beautifully. The man is a genius in the operating theatre but god help anyone trying to read his prescriptions! I think as long as it's legible and he's able to write without pain then don't stress too much as that will just stress him out too and he is only little.

Speech is obviously important but input from speech and language can be invaluable and you will be able to help at home.

You sound like a great mum who is doing everything she can. With cerebral palsy there are a lot of unknowns and things can do undiagnosed until school age when problems crop up so make sure the GP is aware he is struggling. I have a friend with CP who was 16 before anyone realised that she was missing half of her visual field- she thought it was normal and everyone else was so focused on her mobility that they didn't think to check!
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

(unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • w06
    • By w06 3rd Mar 18, 6:08 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    First and foremost Stacey, you sound like a great Mum who wants the best for her children and who is providing a lot of good stimulation, in addition to what they're getting at school.

How about asking their Dad to pay a little more to you and arrange some learning support for him. I used to tutor and was always very reluctant to tutor such young children, but the one thing I would happily do is spend time with them exploring knowledge and helping them in learning to learn and enjoy learning, important that it's that and not 'hot house tutoring' though.

Does your lad have a community paediatrician? They'd be able to point you in the right directions and help you access services. Also worth talking to your GP about how this is affecting you as well as your boy's needs.

oh and legible handwriting is overrated, I think the legibility of mine peaked when I was about five.
    • Staceyjean
    • By Staceyjean 4th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Is this what your ex has told you?
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    No. It was my mum. I was in hospital when everyone else was doing gcse and she said it was pointless going back for the rests as I would fail them. I left home shortly after that. My mother was an alcohol and substance abuser and had all sorts to stay. It was difficult and I ended up living on the streets for a while. I have never touched any non prescription medication, alcohol or tobacco products as I believe addiction is in the genes. Ex was supportive actually. He was just useless. He has a lovely older family and a cultured and sophisticated wife. Why would he want someone like me?
    At the moment my primary concern is to get some sort of educational support for both of my boys. In particular my son with additional needs. However, people see my situation. Lovely house. Nice car. No husband. Benefit scrounger. Worthless.
    When I go into hospital I often talk to other mothers with children in similar positions and they seem to get support at school. It's just I am concerned with asking for too much in case I am labelled as an unfit mother and the children are removed. I used get taken away from my mother and taken into foster care or a children's home but as soon as I had been placed with a nice family and got settled she used to say say she wanted me back.
    I like the idea of a tutor to come to the house and just talk to him and play with him. I don't really give him any formal education as I lack the skills or intelligence. It consists really only of playing, reading and taking them out and about. We live in London so there is always something.
    The school someone gave me a link to sounds interesting. I am not sure that he is bad enough to warrant that and I would rather he had mainstream education. Or were you thinking it for my own intellectual deficiencies? I think I my be too old as I am 24 and although it goes up to age 25 I may have missed the boat.
    I need to find out what is available before I ask for anything in case they think I am not coping.
    In terms of financial support, I get maintenance through a solicitor. The money comes "the trustees of the .......... settlement" I have a nice house and the rent is paid for as are my bills and car. If I want anything extra or the allowance is insufficient they say I only have to ask. I am trying to save up to buy a house so I can break free from him. But at the moment I seem to have no option but to allow myself to degraded. I did ask for some investment advice on another thread but I just got ridiculed.
    As soon as my son has his immediate needs sorted and I know they are not going to be taken into care then I will be happier.
    I taught myself to speak and write arabic and I am reasonably fluent but I doubt that I would be able to do anything with that given my lack of formal qualifications.
    I would have loved to study english literature but as I have not even a gcse I think it unlikely I would be accepted even on an open university course. However, for the time being I need to sort out my son's education and physical difficulties before I can even begin to think of that.
    I would just like everyone who has contributed and taken the time, not only to reply, but to give me links to other sites. I am very grateful and humbled.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 4th Mar 18, 9:34 AM
    • 28,911 Posts
    • 73,811 Thanks
    No. It was my mum. I was in hospital when everyone else was doing gcse and she said it was pointless going back for the rests as I would fail them.

My mother was an alcohol and substance abuser and had all sorts to stay.

At the moment my primary concern is to get some sort of educational support for both of my boys.
    Originally posted by Staceyjean
    That says much more about your Mum than it does about you!

My sons missed most of secondary school through poor health but that hasn't stopped them being educated. There are so many ways now to learn and gain qualifications outside of school.

As well as following up the good leads for help with your boys, spend some time and money on yourself - get some counselling and build up your self esteem. A destructive force like your mother can have an impact on you for the rest of your life but, as you are already doing so well, with help you can move on even further.
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 4th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    Stacey, I wonder if your son might benefit from an assessment from an Educational Psychologist in the first instance. The tests would be fun (verbal/non verbal) and would give clear indication of where your son's strenghths/weaknesses lay. This report could then help you gain further help (GP/School) if needed.
    With respect to helping your children, I would say at this stage, just 'follow their interests' and let them have lots of fun .One of the most important things for a child is a parent's love - and you seem to have that in abundance .
    Take comfort in the fact that the way others' perceive you is not as you 'think' you are perceived. You present as a very polite, intelligent and caring lady - not as someone who is 'thick'.
    I wish you all the luck in the world
    Last edited by BucksLady; 04-03-2018 at 3:31 PM.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 4th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    You present as a very polite, intelligent and caring lady - not as someone who is 'thick'.
    Originally posted by BucksLady
    Anyone who can teach themselves to write and speak Arabic has my admiration.

"I taught myself to speak and write Arabic and I am reasonably fluent "

Some of the most impressive people I've come across in my working career, have combined that natural intelligence, with a gift for communication and inspiring others.

From my personal experience, Stacey you may find opportunities in local voluntary organisations. I volunteered at my local advice agency - great training and a very supportive team (staff & volunteers) where people weren't judged on qualifications / etc, but appreciated for what they could bring to the organisation. It was lovely to see some colleagues grow in self-esteem and confidence as they helped provide a valued service to their local community.
    • RevTimms
    • By RevTimms 6th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    You know you may just be worrying unnecessarily. If he is the youngest in the class, and he was premature, there will be children in that class probably around a year older than him.
    I am not saying you shouldn't get him checked out, either by the GP or health visitor, it may be that physically, he is just on track. Writing is a physical skill as well as a mental skill, so it maybe because he is so young.
    You also need to have a word with his teacher to see if the teacher is also worried.
    I used to foster children when I was younger, and believe me, you do NOT sound like the sort of parent who I dealt with and heard about. It sounds like you are really worried the children will be taken from you, just like the experience that you had, and this is holding you back. I would not worry about that if I were you! You sound like a great mum!
    Lots of useful links and advice for you here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,203Posts Today

5,256Users online

Martin's Twitter