tip from a gas engineer on frozen condensate pipes

Comments

• Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Only by jealous sparkies, we all know who the king of the trades are, thats why you get upset about people calling us gas engineers ;)
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    Only by jealous sparkies, we all know who the king of the trades are, thats why you get upset about people calling us gas engineers ;)

Electricians have always been the king of the trades and remain so. Gas men are just plumbers with even bigger heads than ordinary water plumbers.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Risteard wrote: »
    Unless you prosecute them for misuse of a legally protected title.

But you can't (in the UK) because 'engineer' has never been a protected title and never will be. 'Chartered Engineer' on the other hand is protected.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Risteard
    EachPenny wrote: »
    But you can't (in the UK) because 'engineer' has never been a protected title and never will be. 'Chartered Engineer' on the other hand is protected.

He said "if the government legislates" then you couldn't stop people using the term, so you clearly haven't read this in context. You could prosecute depending on the wording of the legislation.
    ECA Registered Member
  • Alex1983
    Lol :rotfl:;):beer:
  • Risteard
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    Lol :rotfl:;):beer:

Not sure why you're laughing. You're a plumber. The lowest of the low.
    ECA Registered Member
  • Alex1983
    Ok lofty sparkie, you stick to wiring plugs and I will stick to keeping people warm ;)
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    It should be legally protected though.

And you should pipe down, but obviously everyone isn't getting what they want.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    He said "if the government legislates" then you couldn't stop people using the term, so you clearly haven't read this in context. You could prosecute depending on the wording of the legislation.
    Who did?

You ignore the point I made that such legislation will never be passed because there are already protected titles e.g. "Chartered Engineer" and the word 'engineer' is in such common use for other things that legislation is likely to be ineffective unless it introduces a new specific term such as 'licensed engineer'. (e.g. this term already exists and is protected for aircraft 'mechanics')
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I knew an electrician once who had an equipotential bonding rod stuck up his ar... Some would have said earth rod, not him. When he got to hospital and the houseman offered to remove it he demanded at least a consultant. Some people are obsessed by titles.

Once in my career I went from a job title that sounded quite grand to a lesser title in a more demanding role for more money. Some preferred to stay where they were because of the title. Some had envy towards those with the grander title. I cried all the way to the bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure