Why aren't BMWs limited to Winter tyres and 75 BHP

Comments

• Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    We also used to drive with just a little finesse. The accelerator, steering and brakes weren't computer-game binary controls.

Oh, and if we got it wrong people laughed at us because it was our own damn fault. Not the council's, not the car designer's, not the Weather Gods, but ours.
    Good grief sir!
    You must be as ancient as me! :D
    You are talking about a time when people were actually interested in driving, and bothered to learn how to do it properly!
    These days the car does the driving, and the "interest" is in the individual climate control for one's toes I believe.
    ....and the bloke with the red flag walking in front would come back and help you push it out of the ditch.
    I actually knew a chap who was driving not long after that time, and still driving well into his old age when I knew him. His "Star" car which was the first he had was hand-wound, and had acetylene lights and an accumulator which powered the ignition. No on-car charging system.
    I did ask him what it was like driving back then. IIRC he said it was,
    "The best time to drive ever"
    I think I'd rather have the cars back then and the lack of traffic, rather than any modern box sitting in a queue of traffic.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    Good grief sir!
    You must be as ancient as me! :D
    You are talking about a time when people were actually interested in driving, and bothered to learn how to do it properly!
    These days the car does the driving, and the "interest" is in the individual climate control for one's toes I believe.

Not sure about that, but i did have a Mum who didn't drive and a Dad who very much took the view that, if you had an accident you were responsible - even if only by failing to avoid the other idiot's mistake. He was also a terrible passenger. Which meant, if I was going to get any wheel time, I had to get it right!

It was only much later that I realised he didn't see it as a cast iron rule but a damn good philosophy to have on the road. It means you actually think about all those near misses and how to anticipate and avoid them in future - I don't think I've been really surprised on the road for 20 years now.

Oh, and had a lovely time today going to work and back in my RWD BMW with just enough snow to make it slippy. At least, it was lovely until I got out of work and found I had a puncture.

For the record, when you stand on a wheel brace with icy shoes, slip off, and bounce your nose off the wing, it REALLY hurts!

And that's another mistake I know not to make in future :rotfl:
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Not sure about that, but i did have a Mum who didn't drive and a Dad who very much took the view that, if you had an accident you were responsible - even if only by failing to avoid the other idiot's mistake. He was also a terrible passenger. Which meant, if I was going to get any wheel time, I had to get it right!

It was only much later that I realised he didn't see it as a cast iron rule but a damn good philosophy to have on the road. It means you actually think about all those near misses and how to anticipate and avoid them in future - I don't think I've been really surprised on the road for 20 years now.

Oh, and had a lovely time today going to work and back in my RWD BMW with just enough snow to make it slippy. At least, it was lovely until I got out of work and found I had a puncture.

For the record, when you stand on a wheel brace with icy shoes, slip off, and bounce your nose off the wing, it REALLY hurts!

And that's another mistake I know not to make in future :rotfl:

At least you didn't have to jack up the car with it's non-interchangable artillery wheels, remove the "beaded rim" type tyre and tube, mend the puncture and put it back. ;)
    A very good point about anticipation. My dad was the same. I drive the same way. Or try to.

A friend of mine kept on having motorbike accidents and getting hurt. He said to me that they weren't his fault, which technically they weren't. I said to him about "failing to anticipate" and how it was him who was getting hurt. . .

And I've done the wheel brace thing as well! :eek:
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well, as a BMW driver(!) with 3 cars(!!), I have to say that I started a new job yesterday and had to drive in to take some things in for day 1, but today I walked in and it was quite enjoyable (I chose the job because it is within walking distance).
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Even the xdrive BMWs are useless if they have large wheels and performace tyres.

I followed a 420d xdrive yesterday, we both turned off the main road into an uphill snow covered side street. He managed about 20m and stopped, couldn!!!8217;t get traction. I overtook him and watched in my mirror as he reversed back to the main road.
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Ive had a 320d x drive and its still useless in snow
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    Try putting on winter tyres and switching off TSC then.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Muscle750 wrote: »

You need winter tyres then. I take it you live in a particularly hilly / rugged part of the world?

I'd a RWD C class Merc diesel during the last snowy winter and got about just fine.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had a 120d Xdrive for over 3 years and never missed a beat during the winter, and I live in particularly hilly area.

There's been plenty of drivers struggling getting up my road this week and just as much FWD cars than BMWs, quite often because they come to a standstill then sit there and floor it in first and wonder why they're not going anywhere.

About 7/8 years ago I had a women in a 4x4 crash into my parked car and when asked how she managed that, she simply said she had no idea because she had her foot on the brakes all way down ;)
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    neilmcl wrote: »
    I had a 120d Xdrive for over 3 years and never missed a beat during the winter, and I live in particularly hilly area.

There's been plenty of drivers struggling getting up my road this week and just as much FWD cars than BMWs, quite often because they come to a standstill then sit there and floor it in first and wonder why they're not going anywhere.

About 7/8 years ago I had a women in a 4x4 crash into my parked car and when asked how she managed that, she simply said she had no idea because she had her foot on the brakes all way down ;)

But, but, but....

Surely if you car isn't moving the only answer's more Go Pedal & if it isn't stopping it needs more brake? More is the answer to everything!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure