Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• natureboss89
    • By natureboss89 24th Feb 18, 9:31 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 3Thanks
    What we spent on baby before he was born
    • 24th Feb 18, 9:31 PM
    What we spent on baby before he was born 24th Feb 18 at 9:31 PM
    Hello MSE

I thought I'll post this, as a lot of people ask about how much they need to save before committing on starting a family.

I might update this thread with post-pregancy expenditures.

Firstly a bit about us:

Mr & Mrs Natureboss got married in 2015 and found out we were pregnant around June 2017

Baby's due date was 17th Feb 2018 but was born on 30th Jan 2018.

Just a note before the breakdown, this isn't by any means the cheapest/money saving way. This was what we felt comfortable spending also first baby syndrome

• Maternity £. 157.20
    • Furniture and Accessories £ 1,352.16
    • Hospital £ 88.25
    • Baby Misc (Baby Clothes, books, yoga ball, etc.) £. 340.00

Total spend: £1,937.61

I can post a breakdown if this is of interest

Have a lovely evening.

Page 1
    • Shakey87
    • By Shakey87 1st Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    • 1st Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 1st Mar 18, 3:31 PM

This is super helpful. We have just found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant, so very early days yet, but we are already starting to think about finances. We had already been planning a kitchen reno this year and now I've found out I'm pregnant I also want to do our bathroom, so budgeting will be very necessary.

I would love to see a breakdown if you have the time to do one!

Thanks again! :-)
    • Caroline Parker
    • By Caroline Parker 7th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Caroline Parker
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    I think the yoga ball is completely optional. Also it could actually depend on the budget as you can get many stuff for deals if you start getting the stuff that is needed ahead of time, so that you don't need to rush and be left with no option to buy expensive stuff.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,566Posts Today

7,394Users online

Martin's Twitter