Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• sixpence.
    • By sixpence. 15th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 22Thanks
    Investing during Brexit
    • 15th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    Investing during Brexit 15th Feb 18 at 3:14 PM

Looking for people's opinions on the following: The UK economy looks uncertain with Brexit, and London property prices drooping.

I am currently planning and forming two stocks/bonds portfolios. One will be for income (58% UK shares/bonds) and the will be for growth (20% UK shares/bonds). Both portfolios will be weighted 70//30 between equity and bonds.

The UK makes up only 6% of the global stock market. Does this, coupled with the coming and current economic uncertainty, make my portfolios too UK heavy?

Of course currency is a factor as well..

I own the flat I live in and I hold no assets outside of the UK.

What are people's thoughts?
Page 4
    • Linton
    • By Linton 24th Feb 18, 1:41 AM
    • 9,178 Posts
    • 9,271 Thanks
    Im now thinking of selling out of my parents managed funds and into more income orientated funds/stocks/investments. This is all in their ISAs.

The income parts of their portfolios generate a dividend income of around 4k pa. Im looking to sell out of 60k of funds into income investments, is 3.5% possible with diversified risk? This brings income to 6k pa which would nicely supplement their existing income through annuities and later state pension.
    Originally posted by economic
    3.5% income iwith diversified risk is easy. I did publish my 6% portfolio in post #35.
    Look in Trustnet for all funds, sort by yield and look at funds in the 3%-5% range. Choose perhaps 6 equity and corporate bond funds that cover a wide range of geographies and industries. Or look in the mixed investment sectors for one diversified fund that provides the income you want.
    • dividendhero
    • By dividendhero 24th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    I don't disagree with much of what you have said (although I think after getting through the Brexit madness an ERG takeover of the UK would probably be pretty good for equities, with some rather "business friendly" policies).

My gut for now remains that Britain is a firmly divided country the polls have barely moved for months now, given I don't much care for the direction either major party is going in, I am all in favour of finely balanced parliaments with weak governments unable to push through anything controversial.

It also appears Labour may be about to come out in favour of Customs Union membership , if they do I don't think the government has the votes in Parliament to avoid eventually following that path.
    Originally posted by Filo25
    I think ultimately it might well come to a choice between Rees-Mogg and Corbyn.

I've never voted Labour in my life, and being quite wealthy and middle aged not really a typical Labour voter - but given the choice between Corbyn & Rees-Mogg I'd go for Corbyn any day of the week. I really do intensely dislike Rees-Mogg and everything he represents.

I think the divisions in the country are now a bigger issue than Brexit itself, Maybot and the bunch of fools that is her cabinet have done absolutely nothing to unify the country. I think the situation is now even worse than the early seventies - I think only way it'll begin to be cleared up if both Labour and Tories go for more viable leaders - Ruth Davidson vs Chukka Umuna would be as good as it gets these days
    • economic
    • By economic 24th Feb 18, 6:33 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    Maybe investing for just income is not a good idea:
    • sixpence.
    • By sixpence. 4th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Hello - sorry to not have replied, have been meaning to. Hectic week or so.

I've been looking into managed funds a bit such as the following:

I've decided I want my portfolio to be lower on the UK (maybe 20% max) as my growth portfolio already contains about 22% UK equities.

Everyone keeps saying that yield includes charges. For example the Blackrock fund says 4.34% yield - so is that what I get in total? I'm going to call Hargreaves next week and ask.

I want to start with a 20K investment this year. It feels unwise to put that all into one fund although the funds themselves are very diversified.

Does anyone have any top tips for how to chose a fund? I'm going to make myself a little guide and then go for it.
    • sixpence.
    • By sixpence. 4th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    I've just seen the Blackrock has a really low rating so maybe not that one but uh, another one similar to it.
    • sixpence.
    • By sixpence. 5th Mar 18, 11:54 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Bumping this up because it went to page 3 in 24 hours.... hope that's not annoying, I still want to chat about this if anyone's got something to feed in
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

3,670Users online

Martin's Twitter