Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cjv
    • By cjv 14th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 162Posts
    • 83Thanks
    cjv
    How to get an instant return on Premium Bonds
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    How to get an instant return on Premium Bonds 14th Feb 18 at 8:53 PM
    Use your Tesco Current Account Debit Card!

"collect 1 point per £8 spent in each debit card purchase transaction (£8 minimum) outside Tesco."

I purchased £1500 of premium bonds a few days ago as a place to hold the Tax I have been setting aside for my self assessment.

Today I checked my clubcard account and indeed I have been awarded the points.

My initial reaction was to consider cycling money to and from my Premium Bond account (withdrawals go to my TSB account) to make 1 Million Points, but my morals held me back.

Also if anyone is not aware, you can also earn points from other investment platforms that accept deposits via Debit Card. I earn points from my Nutmeg and Vanguard deposits.
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 14th Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 1,149 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    I know it makes sense to open this as a joint account for our Nutmeg and Orbis deposits but we already have 2 joint and 6 individual bank accounts and given this is a time limited offer and even if we can use our existing Tesco credit card logins (we have 5 credit cards for various offers) its just becoming too many accounts to track!
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 14th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    Use your Tesco Current Account Debit Card!

"collect 1 point per £8 spent in each debit card purchase transaction (£8 minimum) outside Tesco."

I purchased £1500 of premium bonds a few days ago as a place to hold the Tax I have been setting aside for my self assessment.

Today I checked my clubcard account and indeed I have been awarded the points.

My initial reaction was to consider cycling money to and from my Premium Bond account (withdrawals go to my TSB account) to make 1 Million Points, but my morals held me back.

Also if anyone is not aware, you can also earn points from other investment platforms that accept deposits via Debit Card. I earn points from my Nutmeg and Vanguard deposits.
    Originally posted by cjv
    I guess £1.87 is better than nothing.

If I were you I'd go back to the original plan of cycling the money in and out.
    • cjv
    • By cjv 14th Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    cjv
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    I know it makes sense to open this as a joint account for our Nutmeg and Orbis deposits but we already have 2 joint and 6 individual bank accounts and given this is a time limited offer and even if we can use our existing Tesco credit card logins (we have 5 credit cards for various offers) its just becoming too many accounts to track!
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Indeed, If I did not already have my Tesco account I would not bother adding it to my growing list of current accounts just for this reason. Nice free money if you invest via debit card and can use this option though.

I guess £1.87 is better than nothing.

If I were you I'd go back to the original plan of cycling the money in and out.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    I have my eye on some Denby Tableware currently on offer via clubcard points, so I can multiply that £1.87 by three.. I'm rich!
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 14th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 1,149 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    Denby stuff is good especially on Clubcard points. We have invested heavily in the Denny White range over the past 10 years and still have boxes of the stuff under the staircase.

It's an improvement on the 50p Woolworths plate that I could afford after buying my first property.
    Last edited by Alexland; 14-02-2018 at 10:32 PM.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 14th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    I have my eye on some Denby Tableware currently on offer via clubcard points, so I can multiply that £1.87 by three.. I'm rich!
    Originally posted by cjv

(Meeting post length requirements).
    • cjv
    • By cjv 14th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    cjv
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    Denby stuff is good especially on Clubcard points. We have invested heavily in the Denny White range over the past 10 years and still have boxes of the stuff under the staircase.

It's an improvement on the 50p Woolworths plate that I could afford after buying my first property.
    I am hoping to grab a few of the Denby sets on offer and stash them away for my first property purchase, that could be 1-5 years away... I like to plan in advance!
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 14th Feb 18, 10:38 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 1,149 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:38 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:38 PM
    Nice. I just had that one small plate probably designed for a pudding. I don't know what my wife (then prospective girlfriend) thought when she came around and saw me living like that!
    • cjv
    • By cjv 14th Feb 18, 11:21 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    cjv
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:21 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:21 PM
    Nice. I just had that one small plate probably designed for a pudding. I don't know what my wife (then prospective girlfriend) thought when she came around and saw me living like that!
    Either that sharing a plate is so romantic, or what the hell have I got myself into! Pick one
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 15th Feb 18, 12:02 AM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 2,026 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Thanks for this, I will make sure I do this if I buy any more. I did not the last time as I read in the terms that payments to financial firms (or some wording along those lines) did not earn the points, so simply bought using my Nationwide card as most of the money had matured from a regular saver there.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 15th Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    • 6,351 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    Ken68
    Thanks cjv.....t&c's....https://www.tescobank.com/current-accounts/
    Would this work for NS&I bonds ?
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 18th Feb 18, 9:45 PM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 2,026 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Thanks cjv.....t&c's....https://www.tescobank.com/current-accounts/
    Would this work for NS&I bonds ?
    Originally posted by Ken68
    It's worth a try, can't think why not considering it works for Premium Bonds.

Have skimmed them but can't find the line I mentioned. It was in the short coloured booklet they sent to welcome customers to the account. It may be that they no longer have/send this now; this was several years ago.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 19th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    • 6,351 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    Ken68
    I'll give it a go later today, Kim. Will also add Tesco to NS&I nominated accounts list to avoid confusion.
    Page 8 of the Welcome booklet says "...no points when you use your debit card to pay for bills at banks or other financial institutions."
    • DiggerUK
    • By DiggerUK 19th Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    DiggerUK
    Next run on the Fidelity Fiduciary Bank?
    I have been somewhere between gobsmacked and at a loss for words with this thread. But it has gained traction.

It reminds me of a poster, long ago, who was urging people to collect their old pennies and tuppences, to profit from the copper content before they were removed from circulation.
    I do not think they needed an Offshore Financial Centre to minimise tax on the venture..._
    I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Financial Adviser.
    ’Forward to the British Spring’ ‘Viva Wikileaks’
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 19th Feb 18, 12:12 PM
    • 6,351 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    Ken68
    In my case Digger if it works I shall gain £50 on Premium Bonds and even more when buying 2.2% bonds.
    If it doesn't work I shall keep looking for even more useful posts than your own.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 19th Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    • 7,738 Posts
    • 9,700 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    If it works on the easy access account there's a killing to be made.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 19th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    msallen
    If it works on the easy access account there's a killing to be made.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    It will be a very short lived killing if people keep talking about it on here.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 19th Feb 18, 1:26 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I have been somewhere between gobsmacked and at a loss for words with this thread. But it has gained traction.

It reminds me of a poster, long ago, who was urging people to collect their old pennies and tuppences, to profit from the copper content before they were removed from circulation.
    I do not think they needed an Offshore Financial Centre to minimise tax on the venture..._
    Originally posted by DiggerUK
    Why should you be either, "gobsmacked", or, "at a loss for words"? If Tesco allow someone to earn Clubcard points on these transactions then why should they refrain from doing so? If they don't allow people to earn Clubcard points then nobody will have lost anything. There is nothing wrong with making the best use that you can of various financial products.
    • stephenadarglas
    • By stephenadarglas 19th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    stephenadarglas
    I find the topic headline misleading. It's nothing to do with getting an instant return on the premium bonds themselves.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 19th Feb 18, 8:19 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I find the topic headline misleading. It's nothing to do with getting an instant return on the premium bonds themselves.
    Originally posted by stephenadarglas
    Don't you just hate clickbait?

Personally, I found the thread title quite amusing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,332Users online

Martin's Twitter