Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TeeJa
    • By TeeJa 14th Feb 18, 7:29 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TeeJa
    Access Courses And Benefits
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:29 PM
    Access Courses And Benefits 14th Feb 18 at 7:29 PM
    Hi. I'm a single parent and I recently lost my job so have been on JSA. My adviser at the Job Centre is aware I have childcare issues (no family or friends living local to me and we are very rural) and said they won't be putting pressure on me to find a job until my son is 12yrs old (he's 9yrs old now).

I'm not lazy and can't stand not doing anything so want to keep busy. I have applied to do an access course starting in September which will hopefully help me gain a better job at the end as I'll be more qualified.

As it's a full time course I won't be entitled to JSA any more as obviously I won't be job seeking. Any idea what I would be able to claim as rent and bills still need paying? Am I just destined to be stuck on JSA for years to come with no prospects of improving myself?
Page 1
    • techra02
    • By techra02 14th Feb 18, 8:03 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    techra02
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:03 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:03 PM
    teeja

I can empathise with your situation, but I am also surprised at how flexible your advisor is. the standard response is that it's called a job seekers allowance for a reason. maybe you could study part time as if you work below the 16 hours you would probably have to speak to the training provider.

hope that helps a bit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,332Users online

Martin's Twitter