Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ConfusedGlosLad
    • By ConfusedGlosLad 14th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ConfusedGlosLad
    HELP Barclays Bank changing rules!
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    HELP Barclays Bank changing rules! 14th Feb 18 at 6:52 PM
    Wife got a graduate account back in 2006 and has used it basically like a bank account ever since, nothing ever said about it as always you have an over draft dip in and out but mostly in as opposed to out.

They sent a letter two days ago stating that as she is in overdraft they will now be charging her £1.50 A DAY that she is in the overdraft meaning she is now expected to pay it off.

Firstly all details they have seems to be made up:
    "you graduated 3 years ago" which is wrong she has had this account 11 years.
    "you have had notification in august" once again we have not.
    "this was explained in branch" supposedly this was planned since 2006?
    "It was in terms and conditions" I asked for a copy of T & C signed and agreed too or contract that would have been scanned of original agreement response "we do not need to have kept them".

Do we have any recourse here as finding £45 extra a month is a lot of money!
Page 1
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 14th Feb 18, 7:32 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:32 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:32 PM
    Give them a ring and rebut all four points, esp. the last one as, if they haven't kept the T&C's, how can they prove what was in them?
    Last edited by Shakin Steve; 14-02-2018 at 7:47 PM.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 14th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    Searching for https://www.personal.barclays.co.uk/BRC1/jsp/brccontrol?task=articleFWgroup&value=8997&target=_ self&site=pfs on web.archive.org and looking at the results from 2007 shows that the interest free overdraft was for 3 years after graduation, which I believe is fairly standard for graduate accounts.
    Last edited by boo_star; 14-02-2018 at 9:39 PM.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 14th Feb 18, 9:25 PM
    • 24,434 Posts
    • 11,719 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:25 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:25 PM
    OP your wife has done very well out of this mess - I would not stir up too much trouble - is this not like a PPI claim in reverse - what if they go back and ask you to pay the interest that SHOULD have been charged to the account?
    The fact that she is still in overdraft is not Barclays' fault - think of ways to help her to repay this and charges won't be a problem.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 14th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    OP your wife has done very well out of this mess - I would not stir up too much trouble - is this not like a PPI claim in reverse - what if they go back and ask you to pay the interest that SHOULD have been charged to the account?
    The fact that she is still in overdraft is not Barclays' fault - think of ways to help her to repay this and charges won't be a problem.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    Agreed.

She’s had 8 years of an interest free overdraft that she shouldn’t have (per the T&C’s) had and should have wondered, at least at one point in all those years, why she wasn’t being charged interest.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 14th Feb 18, 10:07 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    18cc
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:07 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:07 PM
    Absolutely have to agree with all of the above if you start complaining to the bank they may well suddenly wake up to the fact that you have had all this period of free overdraft when you should only have had three years I would keep quiet!

that doesn't mean to say that you have to pay their exorbitant rates of Interest though you can try converting the overdraft to a personal loan where typically the interest rate is lower or look around for another bank with a lower interest rate or even take out and interest free credit card and see how the rates compare
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,207Posts Today

8,005Users online

Martin's Twitter