Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• bigdavecox90
    • By bigdavecox90 14th Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    • 144Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Stamp duty for first time buyers
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    Stamp duty for first time buyers 14th Feb 18 at 5:26 PM
    Hi all,

So looking for a bit of advice, I’ve recently read that first time buyers can be exempt from stamp duty providing the property they purchase is under £300k.

My partner has previously owned a property which she has recently sold and we are now looking to purchase together.

Does anyone know if I’d still be entitled to stamp duty exemption with me being a ‘first time buyer’?

Thanks in advance,

Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 14th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 16,487 Posts
    • 8,544 Thanks
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    If you buy the property on your own, no stamp duty.
    If you buy it jointly, stamp duty due.
    There is also a middle ground which most people seem to think is fine, but I am a little cautious as it could come back to bite you, where you are both on the Mortgage but only one of you on the deeds.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • bigdavecox90
    • By bigdavecox90 14th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    Thanks for the quick response,

Unfortunately, this is the response that I was expecting. Shame as I personally feel you should be entitled to this as a first time buyer, however not surprised that there would be no entitlement.
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 15th Feb 18, 6:58 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    • 15th Feb 18, 6:58 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 6:58 PM
    You won't qualify for the stamp duty relief if you buy together but you will be eligible for the help to buy isa bonus (or depending if your purchase is not imminent) the lifetime isa bonus if you buy. This assumes the property value is below £450k for the latter or below £250k (outside London) and £450k (London) for the former.

Do you have an HTB or lifetime isa - if not then get saving.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,933Posts Today

8,051Users online

Martin's Twitter