Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• GM1880
    • By GM1880 14th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 28Thanks
    Best Way To Invest/Save c8k now and 1k/ month
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    Best Way To Invest/Save c8k now and 1k/ month 14th Feb 18 at 2:21 PM
    Afternoon all,

Never having been particularly good with money I've never been particularly familiar with the saving options open to me.

I'm 38 and plan to buy my first (so bad) house with my better half (she's owned before) in about 18 months. I have about 8-10k in a savings account at the moment with Barclays Plus a Help to Buy ISA with about 2k in it.

I have about 1k a month spare from my salary to save too.

Given we're about to buy a house in a year or so I don't want to tie up the money for too long. Given our house purchase is likely to be above the price limit for a Help to Buy ISA, I was going to switch to a Skipton Lifetime ISA to get the double government bonus. Then keep the rest in a savings account.

Any thoughts from you more knowledgeable folk?
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 14th Feb 18, 8:03 PM
    • 1,939 Posts
    • 1,375 Thanks
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:03 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:03 PM
    Yes assuming the HTB ISA is entirely from this tax year and you have enough remaining in your 20k annual ISA contribution limit then it would probably be easier to open a new Skipton LISA and deposit up to 4k before 6th April to get the 25% bonus. You could then add another 4k on 6th April for a further 25% bonus. The account needs to be open at least 12 months to use for a property purchase without penalty.

You could either keep the HTB ISA going for the interest rate or close it. You would need to close it when purchasing a property with the LISA as you would no longer qualify to hold a HTB ISA.

For the rest of it consider the 5% Nationwide Flex Direct and associated 5% regular saver. Your partner could do the same and you could even have a Joint FlexDirect too.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,758Posts Today

7,118Users online

Martin's Twitter