Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• neocorps
    • By neocorps 14th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Another Spark Energy Complaint
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    Another Spark Energy Complaint 14th Feb 18 at 2:11 PM
    I've recently moved to a new property where the letting agency was YourMove. YourMove have a deal with "spark energy" where, by default, "spark energy" takes control of the utilities. More interestingly, they stick in the tenancy agreement that you must remain with them, which I know not to be enforceable anyway.

So within the second month, spark generates a bill for £451.73 despite not being given the meter readings. To correct the problem, I provide the numbers on the day of the statement via phone. As you can guess, they have not rectified the bill and continue to demand the original amount. I've now attempted to move providers, to which they have blocked, and I've raised a complaint, to which they have ignored. All I get from them are demands for this original amount and the assurance from phone calls that a new bill will be given despite this not happening.

I've hit a stone wall. I can't change providers because they want the bill paid before they authorise the moreover, yet I've read that if you do pay them, they continue to block the transfer anyway. I'm still within my eight weeks period before I can go to the ombudsman so I guess my question is what I can do? And what can they do?

Can spark turn off the utilities? Can I refuse to pay this amount? I'm keeping logs of all communications, but I'm still about six weeks away before I can raise a complaint. Finally, I had no idea that spark was this predatory, I highly recommend to stay away from them at all costs.

Page 1
    • Spark Energy: Jenny
      Verified User verified user
    • By Spark Energy: Jenny Verified User verified user 14th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Spark Energy: Jenny
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    Hi neocorps

Sorry to hear you're not happy.

I just want to reassure you that you're not tied into a contract with Spark, and as long as your balance is paid up to date, you can change supplier. If your tenancy agreement states otherwise then I'd really like to see it, as that's not right at all.

Did you give us meter readings when you moved in? If you didn't give us move in readings or up to date readings we would have estimated your bill, and the amount we've billed you for sounds rather steep.

Can you please contact me via the email address in my profile with your move in meter readings, your up to date meter readings, and confirming your full name and address.

I can also raise this as a formal complaint if you need me to.

Kind regards

Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

1,570Users online

Martin's Twitter