Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Alvinism
    • By Alvinism 14th Feb 18, 2:02 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Do you tip your hairdresser?
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:02 PM
    Do you tip your hairdresser? 14th Feb 18 at 2:02 PM
    If, like me, you pay a hefty amount to get your hair cut and coloured by a well-established hairdresser, do you tip them on top of what you are asked to pay? Do they think I am rude for walking away without tipping?
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,253 Thanks
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    No I don't tip my hairdresser just as I don't tip the supermarket check out girl, the bus driver , etc.

if i receive service i consider went beyond the normal then I would tip but not for normal business.
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 14th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    I do tip my hairdresser but wouldn't feel bad for not doing it.
    • Jaymie kate
    • By Jaymie kate 15th Feb 18, 1:12 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Jaymie kate
    • 15th Feb 18, 1:12 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 1:12 AM
    I have my own hair dresser and I tip her every time I get my hair done. Though I don't think it would be mean not to do so. I just do it because I've known her for years now and she's really good.
    • BucksLady
    • By BucksLady 15th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    Only at xmas
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 15th Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 2,068 Thanks
    • 15th Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 11:39 AM
    No, I never tip, anyone. Their job choice. Back to hairdresser I even have a dry cut now as it a fiver to wash and cut it wet!
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 61,919 Posts
    • 362,756 Thanks
    • 15th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    I have given 50p-£2 over the years, from some kind of "guilt trip" if I think I'll want to go back there.

But, aged 21, I learnt a lesson about hairdressers.... my friend was a hairdresser and I had a "very good job as a PA at a leading scientific institution, for the Head of Department" - a skill I'd trained 2 years full-time to qualify for and I had 5-6 years' solid/top experience to get the job.

We compared money .... she was earning a LOT more than me for "not actually doing much" most of the day. She got her pay and her tips and commission on salon turnover/upsales ... and, if she wished, she also could have a lucrative sideline in "cash in hand jobs" from mates/families. I was staggered at how much she earnt because when I was at school it was those who couldn't read/write who went into hairdressing!

About 10 years ago I sat for 3 hours alongside a friend in her conservatory while her friend streaked the hair of both of us side by side .... and walked away with £70 cash having just spent the evening chatting, having coffee and sharing a bottle of wine with my friend.

Nice work if you can get it! Most jobs don't pay that much for a full day's work with an arduous and nasty boss barking orders.
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 15th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 8,610 Thanks
    • 15th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    Yes, I tip.

My hairdresser has to rent the chair in the salon. No customers, no pay.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 15th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    • 2,040 Posts
    • 7,011 Thanks
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    If, like me, you pay a hefty amount to get your hair cut and coloured by a well-established hairdresser, do you tip them on top of what you are asked to pay? Do they think I am rude for walking away without tipping?
    Originally posted by Alvinism
    I don't pay a hefty amount because I cannot afford to go to a hairdresser, neither do I want to. I cut and colour my own hair.

Op, I wouldn't worry too much about tipping or not tipping your hairdresser, unless you spent all your money on your recent trip to Barbados. If you are skint, don't tip.

I love skip diving
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 16th Feb 18, 2:04 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    I think it all depends on how often you go if its a long time such as 4+ months then giving a tip may not be such a big deal but if you anything like me (male) i go every 2 weeks for a hair cut and pay £10 each time, if i had to tip every time i went i would go broke lol

but i do try to tip delivery drivers as i have done that job and its not as easy as it seems, cold, wet, rushing about, missing items etc...
    people gave me tips when i was a driver so i like to give somthing back and it helps a little with fuel etc
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • Loubyloux
    • By Loubyloux 17th Feb 18, 11:34 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    I always tip hair stylist and beauty salon 10% so can be up to £10 and then usually throw in a bottle of plonk at Christmas as well. It's no wonder I'm broke
    A big thank you to all comping posters!!
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 18th Feb 18, 7:45 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    My Hairdresser is mobile and self-employed, and therefore sets her own rates. I don't tip, as she should presumably set her rates at a level she is happy with. If she doesn't, that's not my problem.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 18th Feb 18, 8:52 AM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    I get my hair dry cut every 6-8 weeks. What I do is as I have friends who work in cosmetic halls in department stores and in SpaceNK. I get loads of minis and samples given to me. As I have sensitive skin cannot use most so keep them and when I go to my hairdresser just give her a goodie bag. She loves it.
    • WalterShannon
    • By WalterShannon 27th Feb 18, 2:30 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    You should if you don`t want to become bald
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 27th Feb 18, 8:38 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Never tipped a hairdresser (or a delivery driver/pizza delivery driver etc) - didn't even realise it was a 'thing' until fairly recently! It had honestly never occurred to me (particularly as have to save up to go to the hairdresser as it is). The only people I've ever tipped are restaurant staff and taxi drivers... I do have a good relationship with my current hairdresser and asked her about it this week actually and she said most people don't tip and she doesn't expect it, as most pay by card. She said when she used to work in a smaller town/'poorer' area the prices were lower, most people paid in cash and she did tend to get a tip then but that she earns far more now due to higher prices and commission on product sales etc
    • Staceyjean
    • By Staceyjean 3rd Mar 18, 1:17 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    No. I don't tip my hairdresser. I pay a realistic amount for my hair to be done and don't think it is necessary.
    A friend of mine is a hairdresser in a country town says almost everyone tips there.
    I live in a city and pay much more. So no.
    • af273
    • By af273 3rd Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    £2-3 - I like her, she does a good job and I know its a job notorious for back problems
    • queengoth
    • By queengoth 6th Mar 18, 4:33 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    I have gone to the same lady for the last 20 years, a cut is under a tenner a colour and cut and the works about £35. I tip £1 after a cut and about £3 after a colour. I think I have tipped the same for the last 20 years so she will not be retiring on it yet. I am sure it is generational, mum always tipped so I think I assumed that is what you do. Next time it going to be Vietnamese Currency as she is going away, it will be enough for a plate of noodles !

Thinking about it now I may up it a bit, that quid has devalued so much.
    Last edited by queengoth; 06-03-2018 at 4:37 PM. Reason: Apostrophe
    Shady pines ma, shady pines
    • shonsay
    • By shonsay 7th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Interesting, I've always wondered this too. It usually ends with the awkward walk to the till where I fumble about in my purse and end up giving them £3-4 tip.

I'm going to stop tipping them though. I think the whole tip thing perhaps applied before the days of minimum wage. They make a fair wage nowadays. It doesn't make sense, you don't tip a checkout operative, postman or other service provider.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 7th Mar 18, 2:51 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 5,439 Thanks
    Yes, always.
    I consider it mean not to. I don't envy her her job on her feet all day. IMO, if you can afford a haidresser then you can afford a tip, doesn't have to be more than a token. It shows an appreciation of her work and expertise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

1,162Users online

Martin's Twitter