Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • yellowlawn
    • By yellowlawn 14th Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    • 331Posts
    • 95Thanks
    yellowlawn
    Multiple Agents
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    Multiple Agents 14th Feb 18 at 1:40 PM
    Last time I sold a house, the agent made us sign a sole agency agreement. Is this still the case? Or can you sell with multiple agents at once? And does it include online sources?
    Yellowlawn

If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    Last time I sold a house, the agent made us sign a sole agency agreement. Is this still the case? Or can you sell with multiple agents at once? And does it include online sources?
    Originally posted by yellowlawn
    Using a gun? You chose to use an agent who would only market via a sole agency agreement, simply negotiate or find different agent(s)
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 14th Feb 18, 2:20 PM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 1,741 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:20 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:20 PM
    Most things are up for negotiation, and you can probably find an agent to agree to whatever you want. Although these days I question whether multiple agents are necessary, and can sometimes look desperate.
    • yellowlawn
    • By yellowlawn 14th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    yellowlawn
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    No lol We approached several big name estate agents who all used these agreements.
    Yellowlawn

If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 14th Feb 18, 2:23 PM
    • 4,277 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:23 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:23 PM
    they work for you, dictate the terms of conditions, if they don't like it, go elsewhere
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 14th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 1,741 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    No lol We approached several big name estate agents who all used these agreements.
    It would seem unlikely to me that an agent was totally inflexible, big name or not.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 14th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    Use doorsteps and get on rightmove zoopla for £99, no more fees once you sell either thats what this fella did:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73850191&postcount=50
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 14th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 6,032 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    Most things are up for negotiation, and you can probably find an agent to agree to whatever you want. Although these days I question whether multiple agents are necessary, and can sometimes look desperate.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    I would second that. If I see a property on with more than one EA, I assume they're desperate to sell but too stubborn to drop the price, so they just keep hiring EAs in the hope that one of them will find a buyer daft enough to overpay.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 14th Feb 18, 3:08 PM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 1,741 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:08 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:08 PM
    Use doorsteps and get on rightmove zoopla for £99, no more fees once you sell either thats what this fella did:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73850191&postcount=50
    Originally posted by PokerPlayer111
    This approach will work very well for some, but will not be suitable for everyone.

A lot will depend on the type of property you are selling, and the market conditions in the local area.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 14th Feb 18, 3:22 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    Its suitable for a higher % than a traditional EA would like to admit.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 14th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 1,741 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Its suitable for a higher % than a traditional EA would like to admit.
    Originally posted by PokerPlayer111
    I remain amazed that for someone who has never sold a house you are so confident that your advice is correct.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 14th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 5,828 Posts
    • 5,567 Thanks
    eddddy
    Most EAs will push for sole agency - but given the choice of multi-agency or nothing, they will probably agree to multi-agency.

However, the EAs' fees for multi-agency might be around double the fee for sole agency.

Having said this, I'm not sure that multi-agency has many benefits anyway.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 14th Feb 18, 6:47 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    I remain amazed that for someone who has never sold a house you are so confident that your advice is correct.
    Incorrect but anyway... lets take your advice instead, since you are so qualified and im not:

This approach will work very well for some
    So worth looking into.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Feb 18, 10:09 AM
    • 10,085 Posts
    • 12,928 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Although these days I question whether multiple agents are necessary, and can sometimes look desperate.
    Just wanted to agree with this point. If I see something up with more than 2 agents, I think what's wrong with it. Smacks of desperation.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 24,260 Posts
    • 90,878 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Just wanted to agree with this point. If I see something up with more than 2 agents, I think what's wrong with it. Smacks of desperation.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Exactly.

Maybe 10 years ago, some folks might have thought their house was somehow 'invisible' on the major portals without multi-exposure, but I doubt if many are that naive now.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • ashe
    • By ashe 15th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    ashe
    We had our house listed with Hunters, they were terrible. We didnt know the fees were negotiable and as their quote was in the region of the other ones we received we went with them. They overvalued the house to get our business it seems, and when we reduced the house price, their fee didnt come down, it meant their fee was going to be in the region of 4%. I said we can either negotiate the fee or we put the price back up to where you valued it - they gave some lame excuse around we cant change it now as its all in the contract so we put the price back up until our contract expired (6 months!!). House sold within 1 week of moving to another agent, Browns - their fee was about 1% and a 12 week contract.

Pays to shop about and negotiate.

we used a site called Get Agent. It showed us how many sales each agent had in the area which was useful! and what each agents fee would be before negotiation. Again, useful.

I agree multiple agency looks desperate. To sellers it seems to make sense but to buyers you see the same house in your searches several times and see the listing dates etc and wonder why no one else has bought it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,427Posts Today

9,373Users online

Martin's Twitter