Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 14th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 2,570Posts
    • 1,515Thanks
    anotheruser
    Should I DIY Properly?
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    Should I DIY Properly? 14th Feb 18 at 11:52 AM
    I know it's a fairly open title but here's the situation:

I have a toilet cistern that I need to change a washer for.
    The ball valve to turn the water off is somewhat rusted, or broke, I can't turn it to isolate the water anyway.

That means turning the water off to the whole house. No real problem as it'll take me less than 5 mins to replace the washer.

I know I SHOULD replace the ball valve but I don't particularly NEED to, so should I? I know they're £5 or so but means more work, that could potentially go wrong, and I'd rather spend that £5 somewhere else.

So, should I just replace it anyway or not bother as it ain't broke (so to speak) so doesn't need fixing (even though it is broken!).
Page 1
    • nofoollikeold
    • By nofoollikeold 14th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    nofoollikeold
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    Most ball valves are made of brass, so won't rust. Most modern ones are cheap and prone to leak, so what you think is rust may be lime-scale from a slight leak.

If you want piece of mind, change it, and get a good quality one, like a Pegler.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 14th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    anotheruser
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    Well, ended up not doing for now.

I was actually replacing a diaphragm fill valve as the tank was really slow to fill (5+ minutes). Now it's better (less than 2 mins) but still not as fast as I'd prefer :P

Although it was a bit of a ball ache to keep turning the stop cck off!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 31,427 Posts
    • 18,829 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    Could be the isolation valve is part of the problem is it fully open.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 17th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    anotheruser
    • 17th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    • 17th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    Yeah, it's fully open.
    Funny, when I left the water on and unscrewed the 'biscuit cutter' nut, water poured out like a waterfall.
    After I changed the washer, it comes out at about half that speed, but still better than before.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,332Users online

Martin's Twitter