Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 14th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 1,280Posts
    • 191Thanks
    littlerock
    Card left in atm in branch not home branch
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    Card left in atm in branch not home branch 14th Feb 18 at 10:47 AM
    My sister came to see me yesterday and we went shopping in my local market town about 10 miles away. During the afternoon she went into the local HSBC to check her account balance, and when she got home that evening, realised she had left the card in the machine there. (It was in an atm inside the bank branch, not an atm in the street.)

She is not very switched on regarding electronic banking (does not have an online account) so first thing this morning she went into her local HSBC branch (her home branch) to ask them to phone the branch where she had left it, to see if they had it there. (She could not go into the branch where she left it herself as it is 70 miles from her home.) So she asked if the card could be posted to her.

This suggestion was turned down. She was told that there was no provision in HSBC for sending cards between branches. Once the card had left her possession, it had to be cancelled and replaced, there was no other option. There was no-one senior on the premises for her to talk to, only a junior member of staff acting as customer support or whatever they call the young person with atablet who fields your questions in banks these days.

Would it have been better to phone up central customer support? I bank with another bank and have no experience of HSBC to advise her.
Page 1
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 14th Feb 18, 10:52 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:52 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:52 AM
    Do you have any reason to disbelieve what the person is saying?
    To post a card you are relying on the several people being responsible for its safety and its whereabouts, which sounds like it's not worth doing for them.
    So cancel it and request a new one. The replacement will arrive before you manage to sort out anything else.
    • Georgesquare
    • By Georgesquare 14th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Georgesquare
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    A relative had this experience. Once it has been taken by the bank they destroy it and you then need to get a new one. They don't post/send them between branches. Get a new one ordered as soon as possible.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 14th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 7,732 Posts
    • 9,693 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    A few years since I worked in a branch.

Rules at the time were any retained credit card was cut up. End of story. Card holder then needed to contact card services who would usually issue a replacement within the week.

The risk of internal staff fraud on a credit card was presumably deemed too high. Or handing the card back to the wrong person.

Card creation only adds a day on to despatch time. If that.

There is also a risk that she walked away, the card represented itself for return to customer and Mr Card Thief came along and borrowed it. So calling card services, cancelling the card and requesting a replacement makes most sense.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    • 19,419 Posts
    • 15,114 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    My experience in card processing is that most banks have a rule that retained cards are destroyed and have to be reissued. It's very unlikely that ringing customer support would have achieved any other result (in fact, that card had probably already been cut up by then).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,509Users online

Martin's Twitter