Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 14th Feb 18, 8:14 AM
    • 47Posts
    • 61Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Scam of the day
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:14 AM
    Scam of the day 14th Feb 18 at 8:14 AM
    Morning all!

Just thought I would share the fun filled morning I have had!
    Woke up this morning to a confirmation my laptop had been sold on eBay which was nice to wake up to, I also woke up to about 5 messages from the buyer, three requests for invoices and two messages asking me to tell him my paypal email address or send a payment request to him via email. I told him that my paypal address should be on my eBay account?

He then started communicating directly via email, and told me that he had paid me via paypal and had payment proof and that I needed to send it right away as it was a surprise present for his cousin in Nigeria. Checked Paypal - no funds of course.

I regularly check my spam email incase anything important slips through - two messages from Paypal and eBay - the Paypal ones telling me I wouldn't get my funds until I emailed their customer service department with the tracking number (apparently Parcelfroce is now a courier ) and one assuring me that the buyer was a legitimate customer (also typos here) and the best one was the one from eBay stating "We would advise you to proceed with the transaction and ship the item, the buyer is a trustworthy person and it has been confirmed by us"

I emailed Mr Buyer and said thanks for trying to scam me but it's not going to happen and to have a nice day

Currently being spammed with emails threatening to report me and that "you know what happens then" and then emails saying he doesn't know how to pay on eBay so that's why he paid directly to my paypal (with imaginary money )

Relisting it is then!
    Old Debts Starting Balance Jan'18 £1972 / Current Balance £1332
    CC Starting Balance Jan'18 £668 / Current Balance £668
    Overdraft Starting Balance Jan'18 £534 / Current Balance £534
    SO & Nan Loan Starting Balance Jan'18 £1500 / Current Balance £1378.50
    Sealed Pot £12.90
Page 1
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 14th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 3,246 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    Just reply saying you have a million pounds that you are having trouble transferring into Nigeria and would he hold the money for you, and you'd be willing to split it with him 10% for his trouble.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 14th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    Just reply saying you have a million pounds that you are having trouble transferring into Nigeria and would he hold the money for you, and you'd be willing to split it with him 10% for his trouble.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    I do wish I'd thought of something like that
    Sealed Pot £12.90
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 14th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    I've just an email from eBay informing me of a suspicious buyer who had bid on my laptop and that they will cancel any of his bids - miles ahead of you eBay
    Sealed Pot £12.90
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 14th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    vacheron
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    I've just an email from eBay informing me of a suspicious buyer who had bid on my laptop and that they will cancel any of his bids - miles ahead of you eBay
    Originally posted by onedaysomeday
    I sold an item for about £40 to a zero bidder last week. No payment in the first few hours, but gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Five days and three reminders later I decide to raise a NPB case, as soon as I enter the item number eBay tell me that, as the buyer is no longer a registered user, they will immediately refund all my selling fees.

For some reason it didn't occur to them that this information might have been useful to me a little sooner.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • RFW
    • By RFW 14th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 8,584 Posts
    • 5,001 Thanks
    RFW
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    A few years ago I had a customer contact me to ask if I'd sent them a second chance offer on an item I'd sold, they were suspicious about the email. It wasn't from me and they forwarded it to me. I spent the next few hours exchanging emails with someone in Nigeria trying to sell me my own stock. He remained perfectly polite even after he'd twigged what I was doing.
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 14th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    All fun and games on the internet
    Sealed Pot £12.90
    • Africat
    • By Africat 15th Feb 18, 3:12 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 1,405 Thanks
    Africat
    • 15th Feb 18, 3:12 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 3:12 AM
    I only list as 'buy it now' with the 'requires immediate payment' option selected.
    That way I don't have to deal with non payers...

Don't forget to block him unless Ebay have already removed him.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 15th Feb 18, 8:13 AM
    • 59,889 Posts
    • 42,518 Thanks
    soolin
    • 15th Feb 18, 8:13 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 8:13 AM
    The shame of it all is that despite the scam being laughable and obvious, someone will still fall for it and blame ebay or paypal.

Just look at other threads on here, people still sending payments to strangers via paypal friends and family!

It doesn't matter how obvious and how poor these scams are we must remember to keep warning about them, perhaps one day we might be able to save someone from a scammer. Keep threads like this coming, we want everyone to see these scams for what they are.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 15th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    I only list as 'buy it now' with the 'requires immediate payment' option selected.
    That way I don't have to deal with non payers...

Don't forget to block him unless Ebay have already removed him.
    Originally posted by Africat
    Believe it or not I did actually set it up that way, he just somehow managed to avoid paying immediately

The shame of it all is that despite the scam being laughable and obvious, someone will still fall for it and blame ebay or paypal.

Just look at other threads on here, people still sending payments to strangers via paypal friends and family!

It doesn't matter how obvious and how poor these scams are we must remember to keep warning about them, perhaps one day we might be able to save someone from a scammer. Keep threads like this coming, we want everyone to see these scams for what they are.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Yes I did sit double checking the emails I got from Paypal as they looked very similar to the real ones, only things that stood out for me were the use of my email and not my name, and a typo, but for quick glancers or new users this will probably get past them
    Sealed Pot £12.90
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 15th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 24,830 Thanks
    curl girl

Originally posted by soolin
    What's the difference with PayPal f&f please?
    Tia.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 15th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    • 5,086 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Tia.
    Originally posted by curl girl
    No claim when you don't get your item, or you get an empty box
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Feb 18, 6:09 PM
    • 59,889 Posts
    • 42,518 Thanks
    soolin
    Tia.
    Originally posted by curl girl
    It is clear that f and f is for gifts, or monies owed to a friend, that type of thing. Senders are warned that it gives them no protection if used to buy goods or services but all over the various forums people are still using it daily on the basis that 'it's PayPal, so I can easily get my money back, can't I?'

I'm following scams at the moment on two completely different groups, neither are eBay, where a buyer has sent f and f payments to a complete stranger as they promised to split the fee saving with them. Both buyers are now asking how they get their money back for no goods received and a seller who has completely disappeared with no idea of even which area they live in.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,275Posts Today

7,300Users online

Martin's Twitter