Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 14th Feb 18, 3:49 AM
    • 35Posts
    • 17Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    Guarantor
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:49 AM
    Guarantor 14th Feb 18 at 3:49 AM
    My daughter has returned from uni full of joy as sheís found a uni house next year for just three good friends. She needs a guarantor. I live with her stepdad and we rent at the moment. As he earns the lions share of our income we are thinking itís best for him to be guarantor. Hopefully you can be a guarantor if you rent??

Iím lying awake researching what exactly we will be responsible for - I havenít seen the contract yet. As per usual DD is lastminutepanic.com and everything needs to be with the agent tomorrow. Iíve worked out that I really donít want to be responsible for her mates rents and that it needs to be the right wording for the tenancy and deposit scheme etc.

One of my main concerns is that we want to buy next year. Will this guarantor business affect our credit rating as it looks like we are paying her rent / sheís still a dependant?

What credit checks do letting agencies do on student guarantors? Will we need bank statements etc?

Looks like Iím going to have a sleepless night. Might get a cup of tea ...
Page 1
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 14th Feb 18, 6:00 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:00 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:00 AM
    I hope you got some sleep.

To ensure you would never be liable for the whole rent and just your daughters she would need an individual tenancy agreement/deposit etc.

If they all sign 1 document they are all liable if 1 doesn't pay. If none pay the guarantor is expected to.

You dont say if the other 2 are getting guarantors or if they as a whole need one.

Seems very rushed. Just make sure it's all read properly before she or you sign anything.

You only need to search the forum to find the parents threads whose kids didn't read before they signed.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 14th Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    • 36,674 Posts
    • 154,768 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    One of my main concerns is that we want to buy next year. Will this guarantor business affect our credit rating as it looks like we are paying her rent / she's still a dependant?
    It shouldnt do. In fact I doubt the lender would be aware of it.

What credit checks do letting agencies do on student guarantors? Will we need bank statements etc?
    Variable. Some do nothing, others check out credit rating and employment.

Some dont execute the guarantor form as a deed, making it worthless.

Bottom line is that if you dont agree to be a guarantor, you are restricting your offsprings rental opportunities to the private rentals that no one else wants or to live in halls again.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 14th Feb 18, 8:12 AM
    • 4,285 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:12 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:12 AM
    negotiate and see if the LL will accept 6 months upfront rent for example

I wouldn't want to be a guarantor tbh, unless you have seen the small print and if your liable for the other house mates?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Feb 18, 8:18 AM
    • 30,929 Posts
    • 19,561 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:18 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:18 AM
    Your credit rating is only seen by you, your credit history is what lenders see.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 14th Feb 18, 8:24 AM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:24 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 8:24 AM
    Good news and bad news (x2)

BAD 1) If daughter is on a joint & several agreement on one tenancy with her friends for a whole property, then each tenant is liable for the full rent, there's no 'shares'. So as her guarantor, you'd be liable for the whole rent + damage to the whole property. You can then claim off the housemates if you've agreed they'll pay x% of the rent, but if they don't pay, the LL can just chase you for everything.

BAD 2) Most student LL's demand guarantors as the students don't meet affordability themselves, and will have enough offers who will oblige so if daughter doesn't have a guarantor, she won't get a good rental with her friends. The only way of avoiding being responsible for her friends' rent is to have an individual tenancy for her room only, but this is rare/more expensive.

GOOD: Often the agent doesn't properly execute a guarantor deed, meaning you can agree to what they ask for to get the tenancy and then later point out the deed is invalid and get off the hook. Ofcourse they might just do it properly.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    My daughter has returned from uni full of joy as sheís found a uni house next year for just three good friends. She needs a guarantor. I live with her stepdad and we rent at the moment. As he earns the lions share of our income we are thinking itís best for him to be guarantor. Hopefully you can be a guarantor if you rent??

Iím lying awake researching what exactly we will be responsible for - I havenít seen the contract yet. As per usual DD is lastminutepanic.com and everything needs to be with the agent tomorrow. Iíve worked out that I really donít want to be responsible for her mates rents and that it needs to be the right wording for the tenancy and deposit scheme etc.

One of my main concerns is that we want to buy next year. Will this guarantor business affect our credit rating as it looks like we are paying her rent / sheís still a dependant?

Looks like Iím going to have a sleepless night. Might get a cup of tea ...
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead
    If the tenancy is joint (which is most likely will be) your husband will be on the hook for 100% of the rent, should they not pay. in addition any damage caused.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 14th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    Thank you so so much everyone. I think the agent is a good one, my daughter did have the sense to get the contract checked out with the uni etc and as guarantor we are only responsible for her part of the rent (seen the for now). I think it!!!8217;s the best we can hope for rather than her not having anywhere to live next year. One of her friends is house sharing with 10 next year - at least the odds of damage are reduced with only 3 (who all seem sensible). I am on such a budget diet I!!!8217;m thrilled when I sell a £2 pair of gloves on eBay, only to be met with hundreds of pounds deposit so far in advance. Not sure how some families cope, although it takes a strong character to be a student landlord as well!
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 14th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    as guarantor we are only responsible for her part of the rent (seen the for now).
    Please quote the wording that makes you think this is the case, as I highly doubt that's correct.

It may well still be the best choice as a family, but don't misunderstand the financial implication of making sure daughter has somewhere to stay with friends.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 14th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    I!!!8217;ve not seen the wording yet (came through to my husbands email) but OH said it!!!8217;s for her £4000 only. I!!!8217;m guessing however that liability for damage rests with us and the other guarantors. It does say on the agents website that the students are jointly liable but guarantors only for their !!!8216;child!!!8217; (well adult). I!!!8217;m not sure any of it joins up really. Nice valentines evening ahead reading contracts. Yeay.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 14th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    Iím going to stop using apostrophes ... sorry
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    Comms69
    I!!!8217;ve not seen the wording yet (came through to my husbands email) but OH said it!!!8217;s for her £4000 only. I!!!8217;m guessing however that liability for damage rests with us and the other guarantors. It does say on the agents website that the students are jointly liable but guarantors only for their !!!8216;child!!!8217; (well adult). I!!!8217;m not sure any of it joins up really. Nice valentines evening ahead reading contracts. Yeay.
    This guarantor agreement may be invalid. (don't tell the agents)
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 17th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    Just to say thank you all for your help. We have eventually signed - the contract reads that we are responsible for only daughters share of rent and damage, although she is jointly responsible with the other tenants for everything. Not sure how that actually works in practice but to be honest we have our hands tied as it looks like all student rentals seem to be like this. Shame they are not really really adults at this age. Glad she is relatively sensible and that the agent seems very approachable.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,732Users online

Martin's Twitter