Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gizmobenny
    • By gizmobenny 14th Feb 18, 12:04 AM
    • 1,444Posts
    • 13,346Thanks
    gizmobenny
    2nd change of password in 5 days ?
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:04 AM
    2nd change of password in 5 days ? 14th Feb 18 at 12:04 AM
    Ok this is getting silly now. My password is 5 days old and I have to change it again ?
Page 2
    • yellowbear
    • By yellowbear 14th Feb 18, 8:05 AM
    • 359 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    yellowbear
    Me too! Bit daft.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    • 2,636 Posts
    • 3,235 Thanks
    waamo
    This could be a serious matter for Newbies wanting advice. You sign up then a few days later you are told your password doesn't work. I bet an awful lot of people won't bother to return.
    This space for hire.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 14th Feb 18, 8:23 AM
    • 6,149 Posts
    • 93,571 Thanks
    fuddle
    My 5 day old password has expired. Really?

This situation isn't just annoying now, it's getting to the point where I am not trusting this site at all. In any other aspect of life, whether we pay for a service or not, transparency is expected along with apologising when things to wrong.

MSE staff appear to think they're on some sort of pedestal and we're the minions who don't deserve any decency.

Do the decent thing MSE forum staff and show us just a modicum of customer service please.

Without the smoke screen, please explain truthfully why we had to reset our password.
    • newatc
    • By newatc 14th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    newatc
    Changed my password again because it is five days old.

Come on MSE tell us why you are going this in the first place and how so incompetently!
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 14th Feb 18, 8:31 AM
    • 382 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    Mnd
    Agree with all the above and I probably won't bother if it's going to be every 5 days.
    Again if there was an explanation as to why, it would at least make some sense
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 14th Feb 18, 8:35 AM
    • 31,259 Posts
    • 89,695 Thanks
    Marisco
    Yes, it's getting ridiculous now. I changed it, then it came up with "invalid password" although it was showing I was already logged on. Why are we not getting a satisfactory answer for this cocck up from admin? That is the least they could do for their members, so much for good customer service
    • Anon
    • By Anon 14th Feb 18, 8:35 AM
    • 12,371 Posts
    • 141,034 Thanks
    Anon
    It is getting ridiculous - changing a password every 5 days is not workable and will kill this forum and the MSE community.

Some people struggle to remember a long standing password - I understand the ne d for security, but to change every 5 days is setting people up to fail. For what purpose? It is a Forum, my bank does not require changes this often.
    • spenderdave
    • By spenderdave 14th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    spenderdave
    Indeed total nonsense, especially since it accepts the old one anyway. Together with resetting my visited threads counter and resetting back to threaded view it will just drive people away.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Feb 18, 8:40 AM
    • 4,022 Posts
    • 4,069 Thanks
    DoaM
    Did everyone just reuse their old password last time, or did some who've been affected actually change it last week?

I reused my previous one last time (and this time too). Just seeing if there's any common theme.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 14th Feb 18, 8:41 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    poppellerant
    I was also asked to change my password this morning, as it was 5 days old. It's no big deal to me, but it's still inconvenient.
    • Uncluttered_unicorn
    • By Uncluttered_unicorn 14th Feb 18, 8:45 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Uncluttered_unicorn
    I'm another, just 5 days since it was last changed.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 2,636 Posts
    • 3,235 Thanks
    waamo
    Did everyone just reuse their old password last time, or did some who've been affected actually change it last week?

I reused my previous one last time (and this time too). Just seeing if there's any common theme.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    I used different ones.
    This space for hire.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 14th Feb 18, 9:01 AM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    giraffe69
    The most irritating thing is not yet another password change but the lack of any information on what is, clearly, going wrong. Same applies to the apostrophe formatting issue. It smacks of "the customer doesn't matter"
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 14th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 9,480 Posts
    • 14,225 Thanks
    chucknorris
    I think passwords should be changed twice daily, I hate to think what would happen if the Russians successfully hacked my MSE account and posted incorrect information about what kibble I feed my dog.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now mostly hike, gym classes and weight training (also a bit of cycling and swimming), less impact on my joints.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe

I reused my password but I've not had another request (yet).

It is truly awful this bug (presumably it's a bug anyway) considering how much we pay for access...

...oh wait a moment.

Come on people, it's hardly the end of the world, they're aware of it and someone will be along shortly (???) to say it's all sorted.

As for the odd person demanding an apology, do me a favour.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 14th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 3,184 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    Since I've no idea what my password is (my password manager knows, but I don't normally log out) and since I expected that if MSE are improving security they wouldn't accept the same one, I did change my password five days ago, and also today.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Feb 18, 10:00 AM
    • 8,255 Posts
    • 8,987 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Since I've no idea what my password is (my password manager knows, but I don't normally log out) and since I expected that if MSE are improving security they wouldn't accept the same one, I did change my password five days ago, and also today.
    Originally posted by Eco Miser

Ah well there's your problem.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 14th Feb 18, 10:12 AM
    • 3,936 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    alanq
    While we are all busy updating our passwords every few days to supposedly increase security the new passwords are being submitted from unencrypted pages. What a farce.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th Feb 18, 10:19 AM
    • 9,754 Posts
    • 9,505 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Come on people, it's hardly the end of the world, they're aware of it and someone will be along shortly (???) to say it's all sorted.

As for the odd person demanding an apology, do me a favour.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Yes, I agree people probably need a little more perspective - it is a free service, and also one that isn't peppered with advertising, either.

OTOH, MSE espouses good customer service (amongst other things), and whilst we can debate whether we are all customers or not (and if not, then what), it does seem like a little bit of a double standard (to not offer top notch customer service ourselves).
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 14-02-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 14th Feb 18, 10:33 AM
    • 8,937 Posts
    • 21,532 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi

Sorry for the lack of notice to the password reset – we should have told you, but we didn’t want to draw attention to the spam creators.

We wanted to clamp down on the amount of spam that gets posted to the forum, and one of the many measures taken was to ask everyone to reset their password, and thus help weed out the bots and disposable accounts.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience caused, but hopefully most managed to easily reset theirs.

If you can’t remember your password you can get a reset link sent to the email you used to register your account.

As an extra measure we’ve also put in place a 90 day time limit for password expiry, and would appreciate your feedback.

We've set up one individual thread and are going to close this thread so we can read everyone's feedback in one place. Could you please feedback on this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73879398#post73879398

Thanks!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

7,499Users online

Martin's Twitter