Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • loubie_lou
    • By loubie_lou 13th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    • 1,322Posts
    • 3,354Thanks
    loubie_lou
    0 WOW
    Is croatia busy end of august?
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:30 PM
    0 WOW
    Is croatia busy end of august? 13th Feb 18 at 9:30 PM
    Hello

I want to book a little road trip for 9 nights end of august into early September but my question is will it be very busy? I know the peak times are June to august but will late august make a difference? I was planning on hiring a car but i don't want to spend hours travelling between my stops.

My itinerary is as follows:

Manchester to split - 27/08
    Split area for two - three nights
    Take the ferry to an island (Brac or Hvar maybe) for three nights
    Ferry/Drive to Cavtat-Dubrovnik area for a few nights.
    Dubrovnik to Manchester - 05/09

What do you think?

Thanks
    In debt no more!
Page 1
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 13th Feb 18, 10:32 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:32 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:32 PM
    I travelled to Croatia at that time of year and I found that it was relatively busy, especially in the Old Town of Dubrovnik, Split and Hvar. However, it was not overwhelmingly busy and it quietened down considerably after the first few days of September (around when the school term started again). It wasn't excessively crowded but the cities/islands were bustling with holiday-makers, as expected!

I travelled around the country on public transport (mainly bus/coach) but we did not hit a single traffic jam, all ran smoothly and the roads were quite clear.

It is a beautiful country and there weren't enough people to get in our way of seeing it!
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 14th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    movilogo
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    It will be very busy in summer. If you drive to Montenegro, as it is outside EU, there could be 3-4 hour queues at border.

Comparatively, Easter period is much quiet and cheaper too. You can still get plenty of sunshine in April onward.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
    • loubie_lou
    • By loubie_lou 14th Feb 18, 6:22 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 3,354 Thanks
    loubie_lou
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:22 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:22 PM
    April is nor an option as I've booked the flights for August and September. Thanks for the info poppy Taylor.
    In debt no more!
    • rx8wayneo
    • By rx8wayneo 15th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    rx8wayneo
    • 15th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 12:07 PM
    Its not too ad that time of year once you get past Old Town. Great city with great food and people.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 15th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 12,725 Posts
    • 10,781 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 15th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    We were in Split in mid August and it was quite busy in the centre especially the main sandy beach, but outside the centre and the islands were fine. We stayed about a mile or 2 along the coast from the centre and the local beach wasn't packed at all.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 16th Feb 18, 3:35 AM
    • 5,015 Posts
    • 6,842 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 16th Feb 18, 3:35 AM
    • 16th Feb 18, 3:35 AM
    Split and Dubrovnik are at their busiest when there are big cruise ships alongside.

We topped and tailed our Bosnia & Herzegovina trip last Sep/Oct with 2 nights either end in Split.

At the start we got a ferry to Hvar [Stari Grad] for the day, a lovely scenic 2 hours each way cruise. A return ticket cost 94 kuna [£12]. Stari Grad is lovely. Brac is also easy to get to by ferry, taking an hour, we stayed on Brac last April for an enjoyable week.

At the end we had a day at and close to the beach in Split. Only locals seem to know about that area, so it was peaceful.

In the evenings, when the crowds has gone we enjoyed the vibe in the Old Town.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,239Posts Today

9,022Users online

Martin's Twitter