Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 13th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 10,355Posts
    • 9,389Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    De-risking equity portfolio..?
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    De-risking equity portfolio..? 13th Feb 18 at 6:57 PM
    Hi all,
    I have quite a lot of money invested in shares and think i should start to slowly de-risk by selling at opportune moments and then buying into something else. The problem is, what should i be looking to buy into?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
Page 2
    • IanSt
    • By IanSt 14th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    IanSt
    I have quite a lot of money invested in shares and think i should start to slowly de-risk ...
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    Are these individual company shares or is it funds that you're invested in?

If individual then personally I'd move them across to a low cost global equity tracker as soon as possible.

If funds then consider where they are invested, then if necessary move them to more accurately reflect your needs over the coming years. But personally I'd be very wary of moving them out of equities.
    • StevieJ
    • By StevieJ 14th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    • 19,258 Posts
    • 32,155 Thanks
    StevieJ
    If we look at it closer we might find 2008 was not such a speedy recovery.
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Or speedy fall as in 'crash'.
    ‘Hard as it is to say now.. I look forward to a United States of Europe, in which the barriers between the nations will be greatly minimised and unrestricted travel will be possible.’
    Winston Churchill 21st Oct 1942
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 14th Feb 18, 12:29 PM
    • 3,700 Posts
    • 5,761 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Hi all,
    I have quite a lot of money invested in shares and think i should start to slowly de-risk by selling at opportune moments and then buying into something else. The problem is, what should i be looking to buy into?
    If you are serious about de-risking, cash.

If your response to this is "but cash returns virtually nothing and my assets would be eaten away by inflation", then you are starting to remember why you invested in shares in the first place.

(As per above, if by "shares" you mean individual shares rather than funds, then you should consider switching into investments with less risk of permanent and total loss if appropriate.)
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 17th Feb 18, 10:54 AM
    • 10,355 Posts
    • 9,389 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    They are all FTSE100 individual share holdings eg RDSB/NG/CNA/BT/VOD... I may hang on for a while and take profits if and when things pick up. Some of these holdings are in the doldrums at the moment.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 17th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    TBC15
    “The Hun is always either at your throat or your feet….”

WINSTON CHURCHILL 19 MAY 1943
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 17th Feb 18, 2:06 PM
    • 57,471 Posts
    • 50,751 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I may hang on for a while and take profits if and when things pick up. Some of these holdings are in the doldrums at the moment.
    Not cutting losses in the hope of recovery is never advisable. Being ruthless and not holding out of sentimentality is eesential when one invests.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

2,173Users online

Martin's Twitter