Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 13th Feb 18, 5:54 PM
    • 3,074Posts
    • 3,316Thanks
    littleredhen
    Aberdeen University
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:54 PM
    Aberdeen University 13th Feb 18 at 5:54 PM
    Any Aberdonians online?
    I need to get from Aberdeen train station to Grays School of Art, yes I know I can google it (other search engines available!)
    but just thought I would ask you friendly bunch
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesnít work unless itís open.

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk
Page 1
    • Happibunni
    • By Happibunni 13th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Happibunni
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    You can get a taxi at the station (not sure about the cost but Aberdeen taxis aren't the cheapest). Firstbus services 1 and 2 go to the Garthdee campus - stops are on Union Street, not far from station. £4 for an all-day ticket.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Feb 18, 6:33 PM
    • 8,134 Posts
    • 8,371 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:33 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:33 PM
    Grays is not part of Aberdeen University - If you ask for that, you will go to entirely the wrong end of town.

Instead, Grays is part of the Robert Gordon University and to get there, simply walk-up to Union St from the Station - ideally through the Trinity Centre - via tunnel/covered bridge from beside the station taxi rank and catch the 1, 2 or RGU shuttle buses which all go from the first stop on the right on the same side of the road when you come out of the centre main doors (beside Primark).

OTOH, the 1 and 2 stop right outside Grays whilst the RGU shuttle goes to the centre of their new campus development a few minutes walk away I can't remember if it goes down s far as Scott Sutherland/Grays though but its not a biggie. 1 and 2 are also a circular service, so whichever bus you get-on, you will end-up at the terminus at Gays, although it will take a while of you cross Union St and go the long way via Bridge of Don!

Cost of a ticket to RGU is such that you will get best value by getting a £4 day ticket from that stop but for a taxi, on an average traffic day that won't leave much change from a tenner each way but it could be as low as six quid if the traffic is on your side.
    Last edited by pogofish; 13-02-2018 at 7:08 PM.
    • Happibunni
    • By Happibunni 13th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Happibunni
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    Grays is not part of Aberdeen University - If you ask for that, you will go to entirely the wrong end of town.

Instead, Grays is part of the Robert Gordon University and to get there, simply walk-up to Union St from the Station - ideally through the Bon Accord Centre - via tunnel/covered bridge from beside the station taxi rank and catch the 1, 2 or RGU shuttle buses which all go from the first stop on the right on the same side of the road when you come out of the centre main doors (beside Primark).

OTOH, the 1 and 2 stop right outside Grays whilst the RGU shuttle goes to the centre of their new campus development a few minutes walk away I can't remember if it goes down s far as Scott Sutherland/Grays though but its not a biggie. 1 and 2 are also a circular service, so whichever bus you get-on, you will end-up at the terminus at Gays, although it will take a while of you cross Union St and go the long way via Bridge of Don!

Cost of a ticket to RGU is such that you will get best value by getting a £4 day ticket from that stop but on an average traffic day that won't leave much change from a tenner,.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    Trinity Centre is the centre to cut through not Bon Accord.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 8,134 Posts
    • 8,371 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    Thanks - I always get them mixed-up!
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 13th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    thanks I did know that Grays School of Art was part of Robert Gordon University - header was wrong thanks for all the useful tips

• littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 13th Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    We are going on a Saturday

• Happibunni
    • By Happibunni 13th Feb 18, 7:47 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Happibunni
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:47 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:47 PM
    Services run every 15 minutes on a Saturday (if the timetables are to be believed )

Hope you have a nice trip
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 13th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    Thanks its my eldest daughter's first uni interview - first generation so proud

• Happibunni
    • By Happibunni 13th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Happibunni
    Congratulations, hope interview goes well.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 19,432 Posts
    • 15,115 Thanks
    agrinnall
    If you are travelling by train and haven't yet bought your tickets then the Plusbus add on will save you money on the First Bus day ticket, I think it's £3.

The bus stops on Garthdee Road outside Grays, or as pogofish suggests you can get off at the stop inside the campus at the Faculty of Health and Social Care and walk to Grays to get a closer look at the rest of the campus.

https://www.rgu.ac.uk/file/rgu-garthdee-campus-map-pdf-434kb

https://www.rgu.ac.uk/contact-us/transport-information/transport-information
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 13th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    • 7,772 Posts
    • 8,472 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    You can also use the Traveline Scotland website or app for multimodal transport planning in Scotland.

Google Maps is okay for general directions but not reliable on actual timetables.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    • 19,432 Posts
    • 15,115 Thanks
    agrinnall

Google Maps is okay for general directions but not reliable on actual timetables.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    It's probably not worth worrying too much about timetables, the 1 and 2 are frequent enough during the day that just turning up at the bus stop should only lead to a few minutes wait at most. And on campus most buildings have a big screen that displays when the next few buses back into the city are due (I don't go into Grays so I can't be sure they have one, but every other building I use does).
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    • 8,134 Posts
    • 8,371 Thanks
    pogofish
    Services run every 15 minutes on a Saturday (if the timetables are to be believed )
    Originally posted by Happibunni
    Timetable for the 1 and 2 is a work of fiction IME but they are regular and Saturday mornings are amongst the more reliable times traffic-wise. Afternoons, can be a different matter.
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 14th Feb 18, 7:22 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    littleredhen
    If you are travelling by train and haven't yet bought your tickets then the Plusbus add on will save you money on the First Bus day ticket, I think it's £3.

The bus stops on Garthdee Road outside Grays, or as pogofish suggests you can get off at the stop inside the campus at the Faculty of Health and Social Care and walk to Grays to get a closer look at the rest of the campus.

https://www.rgu.ac.uk/file/rgu-garthdee-campus-map-pdf-434kb

https://www.rgu.ac.uk/contact-us/transport-information/transport-information
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    thanks already got train tickets

• littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 14th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    littleredhen
    Thanks everyone, always so helpful, that is why I love MSE

• missile
    • By missile 14th Feb 18, 10:38 PM
    • 9,248 Posts
    • 4,545 Thanks
    missile
    If there are two or more travelling it would make sense to take a taxi from the station.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 18th Feb 18, 4:48 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    littleredhen
    Just wanted to say thanks again - journey was brilliant, followed advice and walked through Trinity Centre to get the no.1 bus to the campus, interview seemed to go well and now my daughter has to wait a couple of weeks for result!
    Unfortunately she went out last night and then although she didn't have loads to drink she fell downstairs this morning and broke her scafoid bone in her hand! So she nows has a splint on it but has to get over to Glasgow for another interview on Tuesday although she has managed to get a friend to accompany her, those flippin portfolio cases are heavy!!
    So yes thanks again to all you lovely people for your help and advice

• Happibunni
    • By Happibunni 18th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Happibunni
    Great to hear visit went well, shame about the fall though.
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 20th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 3,316 Thanks
    littleredhen
    goodness me, the saga continues! friend was ill so I had to ask my boss for day off today and go with her to Glasgow! she loved Glasgow School of Art and is keeping everything crossed in the hope she gets offered a place

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,925Posts Today

7,513Users online

Martin's Twitter