Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • matt1983
    • By matt1983 13th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 3Thanks
    matt1983
    Complimentary funds alongside Vanguard LS 60
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    Complimentary funds alongside Vanguard LS 60 13th Feb 18 at 5:48 PM
    Im wondering what peoples thoughts are about what would be a good fund to hold alongside the vanguard lifestrategy 60. Or, is there no real need for an amateur investor like me to worry about investing in another fund and just put all my money into the VLS60.

All suggestions and reasoning welcome.
Page 1
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 13th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    I think VLS60 is a very good option for an inexperienced investor. If you have substantial sums to invest, say over £50k, I would suggest not investing it all in VLS60, but if you are starting from a lower base and adding to it monthly, one multi asset fund like VLS60 is enough in my view.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 91,046 Posts
    • 58,056 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    If you do not have the knowledge to decide this for yourself then you should not attempt trying to break the asset allocation of VLS.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 13th Feb 18, 8:34 PM
    • 9,024 Posts
    • 9,107 Thanks
    Linton
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:34 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:34 PM
    Once you know the answer to your question you may well not want to invest in VLS60 at all. Until then it's fine on its own. However you could use it as the mainstay of your portfolio whilst you gain experience in relatively small %s of other funds perhaps EM, Small Companies or other more niche funds.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 13th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    Once you know the answer to your question you may well not want to invest in VLS60 at all.
    Originally posted by Linton
    So true however it's a lot better than going totally DIY and completely messing things up.
    • Alistair31
    • By Alistair31 13th Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Alistair31
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    However you could use it as the mainstay of your portfolio whilst you gain experience
    Originally posted by Linton
    This is the approach I took(VLS80) , although, my current and future LiSA contributions are in HSBC Global Dynamic following suggestions on this board.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 13th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    This is the approach I took(VLS80) , although, my current and future LiSA contributions are in HSBC Global Dynamic following suggestions on this board.
    Originally posted by Alistair31
    Both good funds. I have more respect for VLS80 than VLS60. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be VLS60 heavy on government bonds when they are already very expensive with limited upside. I think VLS60 mixes well with HSBC GS Balanced to get the corporate bonds exposure and bring down the UK bias.
    Last edited by Alexland; 13-02-2018 at 8:51 PM.
    • Economic
    • By Economic 13th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Economic
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    Im wondering what peoples thoughts are about what would be a good fund to hold alongside the vanguard lifestrategy 60. Or, is there no real need for an amateur investor like me to worry about investing in another fund and just put all my money into the VLS60.

All suggestions and reasoning welcome.
    Originally posted by matt1983
    I would want as many complimentary funds as I could get!
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 13th Feb 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:09 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:09 PM
    If you do not have the knowledge to decide this for yourself then you should not attempt trying to break the asset allocation of VLS.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    How would someone gain this knowledge?
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 13th Feb 18, 9:24 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    Originally posted by TheShape
    Read. Lots.

I read monevator. Com retirementinvestingtoday.com
    UK value investor

Lots of early retirement blogs. Such as fireinlondon

All have different ideas and portfolios. I personally think like Dunston it's more important the volatility and risk (in this case as long as your diversified the risk of assets going g up and down by more than you can handle) you're able to accept then many of these funds on small amounts the difference is going to be minimal. For myself I've chosen to accept volatility and I'm all in equities both my company pension in aegon global tracker (130k)"and ISA in Vls 100(25k). . I lost almost 10% on both my pension and my isa last week. All I did was put a few hundred spare change in my isa and increased my monthly investment. I've got 25k in my isa all in Vls and until I have 50k I won't do anything else. At that point I may add another tracker in say small caps or other areas Vls don't cover but then I have the added complication of deciding % and rebalancing. Once I have more across both I may look to convert some of my company pension to a sipp to start to do more bespoke investment but atm I'm not at all confident in picking my own funds. So I don't. Very happy to admit I'm Not ready
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 57,414 Posts
    • 50,706 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Originally posted by TheShape
    Impossible to become an expert in everything. Focus on a particular niche, or market sector. Perhaps the area you work in. The smaller the company the greater the opportunity.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Gadfium
    • By Gadfium 13th Feb 18, 11:16 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    Gadfium
    Impossible to become an expert in everything. Focus on a particular niche, or market sector. Perhaps the area you work in. The smaller the company the greater the opportunity.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    And, arguably, the greater the risk. Especially if investing in single companies.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 14th Feb 18, 12:03 AM
    • 91,046 Posts
    • 58,056 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    it is true.

I have been doing this for nearly 20 years. Yet I still buy in actuarial data and investment analysis as there is too much to consider and despite it being a major part of my daily routine, I am not close enough to micro manage.

investors need to know their limitations and understand their lack of knowledge before they start making investment decisions that are little more than random punts on incomplete info.

The more you read, the more you find out you don't know.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 14th Feb 18, 7:03 AM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    Alexland
    I have been doing this for nearly 20 years. Yet I still buy in actuarial data and investment analysis as there is too much to consider and despite it being a major part of my daily routine, I am not close enough to micro manage.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    I agree and am constantly frustrated by the limitations of the free data sources I have awareness of. The problem is that a DIY investor is not operating on an economy of scale to be able to afford quality data subscriptions. I would love to know where coastline is getting their recent data from.

Alex
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,239Posts Today

9,022Users online

Martin's Twitter