Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thegreatdom
    • By Thegreatdom 13th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Thegreatdom
    Mortgage Wirh Satisfied CCJ On File
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    Mortgage Wirh Satisfied CCJ On File 13th Feb 18 at 5:21 PM
    Hi

Me and my partner currently rent our home, we have an expanding family and are looking to buy our 1st home.

We are both in secure jobs and earn good salary’s, mine being mostly made up of allowances which are guaranteed every month, with our outgoings are minimal to say the least.

I do have a satisfied ccj on my file from a loan I took out some years ago that came back to bite me in the behind 4 years ago.

Is there a time frame providers will wait before allowing you to apply for a mortgage? I know it gets removed after 6 years but was just curious as our rent is paid on time every month without fail.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    Rent does not form part of your credit history, so is not relevant anyway.

4 years is about the time lenders stop caring about the CCJ. However, you said expanding family, are you expecting?
    • Thegreatdom
    • By Thegreatdom 13th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thegreatdom
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes we currantly have 1 child with 1 on the way. Would this effect our application?

I know you said rent wasn't taken into account, but are bill payments? I'm only asking as the place where we are currently renting, our household bills are included in our monthly rental cost.

Thanks
    • ACG
    • By ACG 13th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 16,318 Posts
    • 8,433 Thanks
    ACG
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    I would say it is more like 3 years, although there are lenders who will start to ignore certain CCJs after around 12 months.

When you say allowances, that would be ringing some alarm bells, in the sense of whether or not they can be used as a form of income.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Thegreatdom
    • By Thegreatdom 13th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thegreatdom
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    Thanks for your reply ACG

When I say allowences,

My salary is - £x amount, Then i also get £x amount for working unsociable hours, £x amount for being on standby for a period of time.

These are all contracted and are paid monthly without fail. I hope this clarifies this.

I am aware that some providers would only take my salery but would be looking for one to take it all into account.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 13th Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    • 16,318 Posts
    • 8,433 Thanks
    ACG
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    That makes it easier then.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,450Posts Today

8,807Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Happy Birthday Jordon. 21 today. Wish you as good a day as you can, and hope you are out of hospital and on the m? https://t.co/G0V9q9agzT

• Got a Help to buy ISA? You have an urgent decision to make or risk missing out on £1,000s. I explain in detail here? https://t.co/W5OJieZddJ

• URGENT warning to all prospective first time buyers. You need to decide NOW if you are moving your help to buy ISA? https://t.co/BDK21rkLL4

• Follow Martin