Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hobbnobb
    • By hobbnobb 13th Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    hobbnobb
    Unsettled defaults and mortgages
    • 13th Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    Unsettled defaults and mortgages 13th Feb 18 at 5:18 PM
    It's been a while since i was on here!
    Bit of background, I started a DMP with Payplan in 2011 and it is ticking along nicely. All debts passed to DCAs and I am now in the position to start offering full and final settlement offers on some of the smaller ones. I sent four offers off today so will wait and see what they say.
    My now husband declared bankruptcy at the same time as i started my DMP so he is now approaching 6 years post discharge.

We are hoping to be in a position to buy our first home in the next couple of years and my question is about some of my debts. I have 4 creditors where the balance is over £1500 and I was planning on offering F&F offers
    for these in a few months so that i am all clear for a mortgage application, but I read on here that as the defaults have now dropped off my credit file, whether they are settled or unsettled is irrelevant when applying for a mortgage, is this correct?
    Should I use the money for settlement offers or would it be best to keep going on the DMP and use the money towards a house deposit? Not sure if that is even possible as I can't see that we would get a mortgage if I am still on a DMP but though I'd check
    Thank you
Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 13th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 11,934 Posts
    • 9,015 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    We are hoping to be in a position to buy our first home in the next couple of years and my question is about some of my debts. I have 4 creditors where the balance is over £1500 and I was planning on offering F&F offers
    for these in a few months so that i am all clear for a mortgage application, but I read on here that as the defaults have now dropped off my credit file, whether they are settled or unsettled is irrelevant when applying for a mortgage, is this correct?
    Should I use the money for settlement offers or would it be best to keep going on the DMP and use the money towards a house deposit? Not sure if that is even possible as I can't see that we would get a mortgage if I am still on a DMP but though I'd check
    Thank you
    Originally posted by hobbnobb
    Whether they are fully settled or partially settled will make no difference if the whole entry has dropped off your file.

However you may still be asked to declare other debts when you make your application for a mortgage. And if they went for a court claim you might need to pay the full balance quickly

I'd do the F&Fs, personally
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

1,492Users online

Martin's Twitter