Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ugm1dak
    • By ugm1dak 13th Feb 18, 4:02 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ugm1dak
    Underfloor heating - best way to control
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:02 PM
    Underfloor heating - best way to control 13th Feb 18 at 4:02 PM
    Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice about underfloor heating. We moved into a new build house 2 years ago which has wet underfloor heating downstairs and radiators upstairs. There is a wall thermostat (non-programmable as far as I can tell) which controls the underfloor separately which I understand is usual.

We recently bought a Nest thermostat which is obviously quite expensive. When it was installed we were disappointed to learn that it would only control the upstairs radiators, most of which are off as the house is pretty warm and we don't use a lot of the rooms at the moment. On speaking to a plumber he said if we wire the thermostat downstairs so the zoning valve is open, disconnect this from the boiler so it doesn't fire, then the Nest thermostat will control both. He did this a few days ago.

This has been the situation for the last few days and now the boiler is on pretty much all the time but the temperature downstairs is cold. I've asked the plumber to come out again to reconnect the old thermostat. I wonder if there is an additional valve or pump which isn't working since the old thermostat was disconnected?

Anyway, my question is, is it worth buying an additional smart thermostat for the underfloor heating or will it just be on a lot of the time anyway? I have read a lot about this over the last few days and there seems to be a suggestion that it is more efficient to keep underfloor heating on at a set temperature due to the lag time for it to heat up. In such a case is it better to use the old thermostat much like a switch and turn it up and down a bit when we want it to be colder or warmer? There doesn't seem to be consensus about this and I was just wondering what people's experiences were.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 13th Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    You need a multi zone system, I don!!!8217;t know if nest supports multi zone, hive does, you need a thermostat for each zone valve. I have 4 hive stats, 1 for each zone.
    • missile
    • By missile 13th Feb 18, 10:50 PM
    • 9,228 Posts
    • 4,527 Thanks
    missile
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:50 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:50 PM
    I have hive system with one controller for underfloor heating in lounge and another controller for radiators in the rest of the property + hot water.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,571Posts Today

9,196Users online

Martin's Twitter