Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flikflak1
    • By Flikflak1 13th Feb 18, 2:15 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Flikflak1
    Unfairly penalised by Trainline?!
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:15 PM
    Unfairly penalised by Trainline?! 13th Feb 18 at 2:15 PM
    Hello everyone - would just like a little bit of advice please if at all possible?

My train to work yesterday was cancelled due to snow. I normally book my tickets through The Trainline app and as soon as the train was cancelled, I got the option to get a refund on my ticket.

All going well so far...

I then phoned up Trainline today to confirm my refund after I didn't receive an email acknowledging that it had been successful. They then said they would only part refund me. I'm loosing out on £10 because I didn't phone them 'straight away' and cancelled my ticket through the app... when I had an option to do this in the first place?!

It seems ridiculous that I have been penalised for not phoning up Trainline for a refund and instead requesting it through the app when they gave me this option in the first place.

Is there a way of ensuring that I get my full refund back?
Page 1
    • elverson
    • By elverson 13th Feb 18, 2:25 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    elverson
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:25 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:25 PM
    Two things:

1. Don't use the Trainline, you can get the same tickets elsewhere without their fees

2. It appears to be in their T&Cs:

If you want to cancel your booking and your ticket is refundable, you can make an application for a refund online or by telephoning +44 871 244 1545. Calls are answered between 0800 and 2200 each day based on local UK time. It is each customer?s responsibility to adhere to time zone differences if calling from outside the UK. We will (unless the cancellation/refund is required due to our breach of these terms or our negligence) charge you a refund fee per ticket to process a cancellation or refund. Please note that that where a refund is made it shall be for the ticket price only, and any associated booking fees are non-refundable.
    • Neil Br
    • By Neil Br 13th Feb 18, 3:08 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Neil Br
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:08 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:08 PM
    Seems ridiculous to me ....."you can make an application for a refund online OR by telephoning", OR being the important word here. Unless they can argue that using the app does not count as "online", which which would be pretty incredible.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 13th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    The £10 isn't the refund fee referred to in the part in blue above is it?
    • Flikflak1
    • By Flikflak1 13th Feb 18, 4:49 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Flikflak1
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:49 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:49 PM
    Looking back, I think it probably is! What's the best app to book train tickets through then without their fees?
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 13th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    • 11,934 Posts
    • 8,087 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    There is usually a charge if you cancel a booking because you change your mind. A refund because a service has been cancelled is obviously different, and clearly the Trainline app has not been set up to deal with this situation.

Anyway, you have a right to a full refund: perhaps you need to complain to the Office of the Rail Regulator.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 9,751 Posts
    • 9,500 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    What's the best app to book train tickets through then without their fees?
    Originally posted by Flikflak1
    Your local TOC (train operating company), or the TOC you plan to travel with, or a TOC that has a useful special offer.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Flikflak1
    • By Flikflak1 14th Feb 18, 3:04 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Flikflak1
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:04 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:04 PM
    A little update for you on this one. Trainline refunded me this morning. However, I was still unsatisfied with the fact they did not refund me my admin fee too. After a few social media messages, they agreed to refund me the full amount. So that extra £10 will be mine! Proof if you are polite when you complain, you can get something back!
    Last edited by Flikflak1; 15-02-2018 at 2:33 PM.
    • Flikflak1
    • By Flikflak1 14th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Flikflak1
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:06 PM
    Your local TOC (train operating company), or the TOC you plan to travel with, or a TOC that has a useful special offer.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Thank you very much!
    • macman
    • By macman 16th Feb 18, 4:02 PM
    • 41,690 Posts
    • 17,227 Thanks
    macman
    Buy your tickets from any TOC site-they all sell tickets to/from anywhere in the UK, so it doesn't matter if you are travelling with them or not. I use East Coast, which works well.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 11,934 Posts
    • 8,087 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    A little update for you on this one. Trainline refunded me this morning. However, I was still unsatisfied with the fact they did not refund me my admin fee too. After a few social media messages, they agreed to refund me the full amount. So that extra £10 will be mine! Proof if you are polite when you complain, you can get something back!
    Originally posted by Flikflak1
    I agree with your message, but will say that in this case you did have a legal right to the full refund, which may also have made a difference.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

788Posts Today

6,872Users online

Martin's Twitter