Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CEON44
    • By CEON44 13th Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    • 244Posts
    • 105Thanks
    CEON44
    Wedding dress storage
    • 13th Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    Wedding dress storage 13th Feb 18 at 1:40 PM
    I've been asked to store a nieces wedding dress and wondering how best to do that. Its a bit of a responsibility and I dont want her to ask for it in a few years to find it mouldy and musty. It was given to me basically on a hanger. At the minute I have placed it in a 50litre plastic tub with lid. I have folded it up as best as possible and placed tissue paper in the folds. I have sent for some small sachets of silica gel which I will also place in the tub. Should this be ok?
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left
Page 1
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 13th Feb 18, 2:10 PM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    Zola.
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:10 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:10 PM
    My wife took her dress to a dry cleaners, who dry cleaned it and put it in a sealed box, cost £90 all in.

Marlowes at Forestside in Belfast
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 13th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 4,747 Thanks
    Artytarty
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    It needs to be spotlessly clean before storage.
    It may look clean enough but if stored straight from wearing any perspiration will yellow and splashes of white wine which matey noe be visible now will come through.
    Trust me, I know this from experience.
    Mind you, many years later when I got it out and saw the tired and grubby state it was in, I threw it into the washing machine on. A gentle cycle, good as new.
    I’m only really keeping for the future grandkids to play dressing up!
    What really Is the point in a dress that won’t be worn again? The memories are in my head and in photos, dress is just an accessory to the crime.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    • 7,370 Posts
    • 20,369 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    Um, hate to trigger anxiety but is the tissue paper acid free? You can get it on ebay as well as at stationers.

Padding the hanger can help depending on the cut of the garment, but it's a biggish ask. Contact her in another couple of years & ask her to reclaim it...

(We've a family wedding dress, currently misplaced & a veil, last seen adorning a now-living-in-America cousin - I foresee some polite but anxious emails.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

300Posts Today

4,421Users online

Martin's Twitter