Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 13th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    • 8,008Posts
    • 1,865Thanks
    50Twuncle
    "Warranty" on Pet "Repairs" at vet
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    "Warranty" on Pet "Repairs" at vet 13th Feb 18 at 9:08 AM
    We took our 14 year old cat to the vet last Tuesday for a dental - at £240 - he had 3 teeth extracted
    All went well - he was out and about within 15 minutes of coming home (it always surprises me how quickly cats recover after a general anaesthetic) !
    Anyway - last night, my wife noticed that the cat was rubbing the side of his face and there was a nasty smell from the area - he appears to have abscess and is also not eating
    We have him booked back in to the vets this afternoon
    Is there any warranty on vets work - or will we be expected to pay again ?
Page 1
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 13th Feb 18, 10:45 AM
    • 3,408 Posts
    • 4,313 Thanks
    Paradigm
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:45 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 10:45 AM
    There's always a risk of complications in any surgical procedure, that's biology for you!
    You can take all the precautions in the world but things can still go wrong, the living body is a very complicated "machine"....
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • jenny-wren
    • By jenny-wren 13th Feb 18, 12:24 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    jenny-wren
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:24 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 12:24 PM
    Our cat has had numerous dental extractions after turning up on our doorstep as a stray with gingivitis and rotten teeth.

Each time the vet put her on a course of antibotics afterwards to reduce the chance of any post-surgery infections. Did your vet prescribe antibiotics?

If there was infection under an extracted tooth it may flare up after surgery (as no vet can guarantee that a wound is completely free of infection). Antibiotics should clear it up fairly quickly.
    Last edited by jenny-wren; 13-02-2018 at 3:32 PM.
    Norn Iron Club Member 330
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 13th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    • 8,008 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    Our cat has had numerous dental extractions after turning up on our doorstep as a stray with gingivitis and rotten teeth.

Each time the vet put her on a course of antibotics afterwards to reduce the chance of any post-surgery infections. Did your vet prescribe antibiotics?

If there was infection under an extracted tooth it may flare up after surgery (as no vet can guarantee that a wound is completely free of infection). Antibiotics ahould clear it up fairly quickly.
    Originally posted by jenny-wren
    Thanks - I assume (hope) so - he was sent home with painkillers liquid
    • jenny-wren
    • By jenny-wren 13th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    jenny-wren
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    Thanks - I assume (hope) so - he was sent home with painkillers liquid
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Antibiotics would normally be in tablet form which you would give at home or the vet would have given him a long lasting injection. Our cat had 'Convenia' antibiotic injections and 'Antirobe' antibiotics capsules along with an anti-inflammatory called 'Loxicom'. The vet's bill should itemise what he has been given.

Hope this helps and hope he's feeling better soon.
    Norn Iron Club Member 330
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 13th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    How did it go?

Some previous posters have had some success with getting the bill reduced in situations such as these. All you can do is explain your concerns and see what they're prepared to offer.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 14th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 8,008 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    How did it go?

Some previous posters have had some success with getting the bill reduced in situations such as these. All you can do is explain your concerns and see what they're prepared to offer.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    We were charged an additional £32 for long lasting antbiotics - apparently, our cat was not given ANY after the op !!

He's much better today - in fact, he started to improve as soon as we got him home, yesterday afternoon - he's eating like a horse again !!
    Pheeew ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,353Posts Today

8,080Users online

Martin's Twitter