Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 13th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    • 563Posts
    • 540Thanks
    Firetastic
    Ad's have started appearing
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:28 AM
    Ad's have started appearing 13th Feb 18 at 8:28 AM
    So lately I've been playing games on Facebook. I don't if that has anything to do with it. But I'll mention it anyway.

So I use Firefox with Ad Block Plus. Last night I went on to Youtube and now I have ads appearing at the top of the screen just above the videos and when I play videos there is an ad I have to skip before I can watch the video. Reported to Ad Block Plus but nothing happened yet.

Any ideas why ADP isn't working properly now? Thank you.
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Feb 18, 8:30 AM
    • 3,964 Posts
    • 4,017 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:30 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:30 AM
    If the ads are embedded in the video stream (which is probable) then there's probably very little ABP or similar can do.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 13th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Firetastic
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    It just started last night. I was using Youtube fine all day with no problems. I go to use it last night and there's ads at the top of the page where recommended videos are and when I play a video. Could it be Youtube then and nothing I've done on Facebook?
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 13th Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Firetastic
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    I think fingers crossed I have fixed it. I went into my emails and I was getting ads at the top of the emails as well. So I removed Ad Block Plus and reinstalled it. Went back in my emails and bingo no ads.

On Youtube although it wasn't displaying ads all the time there was an arrow that said show ad which has now disappered.

So hopefully it was just a wee glitch.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 13th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    • 5,819 Posts
    • 5,558 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    It's a bit of a game of 'cat and mouse'.

Adblock finds a way of blocking ads on a website, so the website changes the way it serves ads to get around Adblock. It could be that you downloaded an updated version of Adblock.

Even dodgier, some advertisers and some websites pay Adblock to stop their ads being blocked. That's how Adblock make their money.

So you might still see adverts from people who've paid Adblock.

Here's some info about it by somebody who doesn't seem to like Adblock much: https://www.engadget.com/2016/02/12/rip-adblock-plus/
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 13th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 3,273 Posts
    • 2,383 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    So you might still see adverts from people who've paid Adblock.
    Originally posted by eddddy

Unless you tick the box to opt out of course
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 13th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 5,121 Posts
    • 2,760 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    Try uBlock Origin as an alternative to AdBlock Plus - many people have moved across to it.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    • 26,595 Posts
    • 10,680 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    Yep uBlock convertee here. Quite powerful. Been a long time since i have seen websites so bare.

No adverts or rubbish collections or recommended items on ebay, sites that infest themselves with stupid things like taboola etc, just lots of blank spaces now.

Even youtube, all that trending junk all gone... Left hand panel now just a list of my subscribed channels none of the junk that i do not use.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Firetastic
    • By Firetastic 13th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    Firetastic
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    I also installed an Adblock for Youtube. Don't worry it's a Firefox add on. I think I will have a look at that UBlock Origin. I don't like having ads because they're annoying to look at plus might have viruses or something.
    • Jaymie kate
    • By Jaymie kate 15th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Jaymie kate
    From my experience, I think some Facebook games might have caused it. Good thing you fixed it. You could also try deleting history, cookies and caches if it ever happen again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,086Posts Today

9,919Users online

Martin's Twitter