Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Franced
    • By Franced 12th Feb 18, 10:42 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Franced
    Adoption allowance
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:42 PM
    Adoption allowance 12th Feb 18 at 10:42 PM
    I wonder if anyone can advise, my husband and I are in the process of adopting a sibling group of 3 children.
    My husband is already stay at home and I intend to to take 12 months adoption leave so we can work as a team to help the children settle with us and give them the time they will need.
    We are already preparing financially and understandably are expected to have a certain level of savings to cover household bills and family costs for those 12 months. I have done a family budget and have budgeted will need minimum savings of around 18k for this period, and potentially we may have around 22k when I take my leave, this will cover my year off work.

My question is, will my savings mean that I dont qualify for adoption allowance for the 33 weeks?
    Is there any means testing on the allowance. For the period Im off work I will have no other income.
    My husband and I have no experience of ever claiming any benefits so not really sure how it all works and if the savings will impact on the adoption allowance it will mean I cant take as much time off if our savings will not stretch as far.
    Any experience/ advice welcome please.
    Last edited by Franced; 12-02-2018 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Amended numbers
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th Feb 18, 10:59 PM
    • 2,100 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:59 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:59 PM
    https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/adoption-and-fostering/Pages/post-adoption-support.aspx#AA
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,445Posts Today

7,638Users online

Martin's Twitter